z

Young Writers Society

the ALM♡STS

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:07 am
Charm says...

Okay so YWS I need your help!

As some of you may know I've been working on a collection for some months now. I've been putting together my poems and shaping them with my blood, sweat, tears, and soul into a book that flows with one story (a lot of the poems have been altered from how they appear on YWS). Now because it's a full manuscript, I can't publish it to YWS and I especially can't publish it to YWS since I'm going to be entering it into a chapbook/poetry book competition. Therefore, I'm really hoping some of you will volunteer to beta-read my collection for me. I'll most likely send it over email or through Google Docs (that's my prefered way of doing things). Like tear it apart. Tell me the harsh criticisms because this is my heart and soul in book form.

Let me tell you a bit about my collection. It's called The Almosts and it has three chapters titled: The Girls, The Boys, The One. It tells a story about a girl (me) who deals with loss of friendship, romance, and learns self-love and heals from scars. If you know my style, you know what to expect: the poems are short, simplistic, and emotional. The manuscript is around 40 Google Doc pages at the moment and will remain around there.

If you're interested let me know whenever you can! I'm going to be sending the book off hopefully around early September but my fear is holding me back and causing me to procrastinate. One of the contest I'm looking into entering will take until Spring 2019 to publish the book for the winner. I'll be graduating high school...

And I forgot to mention this but I will definitely pay you with a bunch of points. I'm thinking 1000 points at the moment but that depends on how many beta-readers I'll have and also who wants points or not.
Last edited by Charm on Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

1081 Reviews

Reviews: 1081
Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:58 pm
View Likes
Virgil says...

Hi there Marms! I'm happy to help, but forewarning that I'm pretty ruthless and won't leave a word of criticism out of the picture. Of course, I won't leave a word of praise out either. Sign me up.

Point payment isn't necessary.

Will Review For Food - Always taking review requests!

Discuss the last piece of media you consumed in Media Reviews!

277 Reviews

Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:51 pm
Charm says...

Eik! Thank you so much!!! I'll give you points if you want but if you don't want any then that's fine (I forgot to mention that I'm paying people in points lol that's why I think no one messaged me xD). How do you want to receive the manuscript. Google Docs is my usual method, but I can email you if you want.

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:04 pm
Samk642 says...

I would love to read it as well. I personally don't want any compensation, as I just enjoy a good read. Lately I have decided to try and develop my understanding of poetry more, and this sounds like an excellent opportunity.

1081 Reviews

Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:07 pm
View Likes
Virgil says...

I'm fine with Google Docs.

277 Reviews

Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:17 pm
Charm says...

@Samk642 It's not that need someone to read it, it's that I need someone to beta-read it.

277 Reviews

Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:21 pm
Charm says...

@Kays If you could PM me your gmail address (I think all emails work) so when I'm ready I can share the manuscript with you, that would be great! c:

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:42 pm
View Likes
Lumi says...

I will also beta-read for you. No compensation needed because points are triiiiivial~ From me you can expect notes regarding publishing quality, nuances, motif, flow, freshness of imagery, impact of imagery, and so on. What you should not expect is quick praise (or quick anything, though I understand time crunches are real.)

I'll PM my gMail if you accept.
Ty
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

277 Reviews

Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:56 pm
Charm says...

@Lumi I was hoping you'd offer to help! Thank you so much c: PM me your gmail when you get the chance. I have one more poem to write lol and then I'll share it with y'all (I won't share the same document because I don't want y'all to see each other's comments).

475 Reviews

Reviews: 475
Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:20 pm
View Likes
Apricity says...

Hey marms, if you still need people I'm happy to beta-read as well though I'm likely less experienced than others who have offered, I'll be commenting mostly on language, the overall coherence of the poems both in itself and overall as a collection etc... likely I'll be blunt with you as well, but if I give praise I meant it. (Don't give me any points, I don't care about them just wanna help)
Previously Flite

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.' ― Friedrich Nietzsche

~Open for business~

277 Reviews

Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:34 pm
Charm says...

@Apricity I would love to have your help! <3 You're an inspiring poet and I'm ecstatic to hear you want to help c:

277 Reviews

Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:04 am
View Likes
Charm says...

Okay I shared the collection with y'all over Google Docs! Once you're done completely going over the collection I'll have a set of questions I'd like y'all to answer just so I have certain specific questions of mine answered.

277 Reviews

Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:25 pm
Charm says...

Has anyone gotten that chance to read more? How far are y'all in?

1081 Reviews

Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:44 pm
View Likes
Virgil says...

Not that far. D: I've been really busy but I'll try to squeeze a couple poems in tonight though. I am a slow tortoise at this, oops.

277 Reviews

Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:36 pm
Charm says...

@kays that's fine! You've actually done the most out of everyone xD thanks for your advice c:

You can, you should, and if you’re brave enough to start, you will.
— Stephen King