z

Young Writers Society

Is This A Good Idea?

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:51 pm
Rosendorn says...

Blood type resistance isn't so cut and dry, and AB blood type doesn't come up in the literature I found on the topic. It also kinda screams "I want only super rare people to get this!" which isn't the most solid worldbuilding base. AB blood type being mentioned is so common in fiction that it's a trope.

You also have to keep in mind that illness like this takes a certain degree of time to build up to "mass destruction", and in that time natural selection happens— so within a few generations, in the time the rest of the population is suffering, there'll be population growth among people who have AB blood type to a marked degree. But it's not quite so absolute as "everyone who doesn't have this blood type will die", seeing as the variety of blood types does survive even in areas that are heavily dominated by one type.

Pinging @StellaThomas again because I am not well educated on blood types and the resistance that happens with them.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

561 Reviews

Reviews: 561
Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:50 pm
Atticus says...

I'm not thinking that it will be an immediate wipe-out, but that over a few hundred years, the plague will wipe out such a significant portion of humanity that we can set the scene here. Again, in the book I won't talk a lot about the plague, since that this ravished world is the only world that Olixen has ever known. Some people even dismiss the stories about what the world used to be like as a myth, so it won't get a lot of emphasis on the story, I'm just trying to get a semi-realistic beginning to the novel.
[he/him]

"tiktok and giving children meth are my passions" ~ @ShadowVyper
"carinas long foretold chaos protege" ~ @veeren
"smol bean, future of chaos" ~ @carina

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:48 pm
birk says...

Why do the rich have to exploit the poor in all these stories? Can't the futuristic subhumans just have death battles?

In all seriousness, why tho? Maybe I'm just tired of this trope, it's been everywhere lately. And lately I've only thought 'Snowpiercer' did an interesting take on it.
"I never saved anything for the swim back."

Do not mistake coincidence for fate. - Mr Eko

they're selling razor blades and mirrors in the street

The continuation of our world depends more on the survival of the kindest than it does on the survival of the fittest.
— Arcticus