z

Young Writers Society

New Story

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:38 am
laurahoeffner says...

I have two story ideas for this site. I am a new member and I hope by reviewing things will help me become more public. The first story is about a girl and the internal struggles of a teenager, the struggles of having divorced parents, finding yourself, and what goes through the mentality of a young adult. The other story is about two best friends and what happens after a heartbreak. I have already developed this story a bit more, but still need help.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:43 am
Vervain says...

What do you need help with, specifically? Characters? Plot? Voice?

If you have specific questions, that can help us narrow down our answers.
stay off the faerie paths

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:52 am
laurahoeffner says...

I was wondering what story to write. I don't know which one to choose

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:37 am
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Why not both?

I mean, there's no such thing as a bad idea, and cycling between projects can be really useful to keep wordcount up when you have writers block.

It's also really hard to give a solid opinion on which one to choose when the ideas are very much in their beginning stages! Those summaries can describe a lot of plots. That isn't to say the generic-ness is a bad thing— trust me, every idea is generic at its heart— but in order to have a better idea of which one we'd like to read, we need a little bit more than a single sentence summary.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:40 am
Vervain says...

We don't have a really good idea of either story right now, so why not tell us a little more about each one?

Who are the characters? What are the stakes, the conflict, the true plot, what the characters have to lose? Why should I read your stories instead of any other YA story?

What makes these stories unique to you as a writer? What spin are you putting on them to make them yours? I've read half a hundred stories that I could break down exactly like you have those two. Your synopses don't tell me anything about the stories themselves, just about the trauma that you're using to drive the plot.

What are they really about? Tell us that, and we can help you.
stay off the faerie paths

The thing about plummeting downhill at fifty miles an hour on a snack platter - if you realize it's a bad idea when you're halfway down, it's too late.
— Rick Riordan, The Son of Neptune