z

Young Writers Society

Idea for a Trilogy

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:00 am
jimss23 says...

So here is the idea.

I have a cast of characters with unique powers, in a dystopian city in a neo-noir setting.

Now to the part that is a little off from the usual.

I will write three books at the same time.

One will have the cast be heroes, bravely saving the day, innocents, and protecting truth and justice and all that.

The second will have the cast be a mercenary group, taking jobs from all different kinds of people. Sometimes they do good, other evil, as long as it pays.

The third will have the cast be straight up villains, members of gangs, ruthless killers, and the sort.

I would plan out each book at the same time and write each book chapter at a time. So I would write 3 chapter ones before moving on to chapter 2 and so forth.

Does this sound like a good idea?

I would appreciate some thoughts or feedback!

-Jimmy
This is the Rule of Three
Every writer's most sacred oath
Two boys to challenge each other
One girl to challenge them both

-Jim

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:59 am
Cadi says...

It certainly sounds unusual! I reckon the easiest way to find out if it's going to work is to leap in and start writing it. I'd recommend being open to changing how you go about it if the need arises - for me, the most interesting thing here is the three parallel but twisted stories, rather than how you put them together. (And, if you think about it from any reader's point of view, that's still true - a reader will see three related stories, not the order in which they were written.) So if you find yourself getting carried away with one of them, and having to come back for the other two later, that's not the end of the world - but, that said, trying to write them in step could be an interesting challenge to yourself as a writer. I hope you have fun with it!
"The fact is, I don't know where my ideas come from. Nor does any writer. The only real answer is to drink way too much coffee and buy yourself a desk that doesn't collapse when you beat your head against it." --Douglas Adams

The capacity of human beings to bore one another seems to be vastly greater than that of any other animal.
— H. L. Mencken