z

Young Writers Society

How to write chemistry between two boys

Reviews: 3
Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:57 pm
ewolf20 says...

When two characters get together, they must have chemistry. This is very important when you trying to write a decent romance story between two characters. It's not without its challenges, though. A lot of people suggest people should have a lot in common for it to work as well as being compatible. That's kinda where I'm having trouble with. A lot of my pairings feel like they don't have much in common. One in particular is between Andrew and Morrin.

Andrew is soft-spoken, calm, and rational, although he has a fair share of viewpoints that are irrational to many. for one thing, he at odds with sexuality at times and seems be wary of certain minorities. He's not much of a guy into risk as well.

In contrast, Morrin was a human raised by raven-like fair folk. because of that, he has a lack of understanding human culture and it's values. He does try his best to understand it, though. at times he maybe misinterpret certain things for something which has unfortunate effects. He's curious about everything and when he occasionally talks, it takes the form of a question. Morrin is very stoic on the surface. In the inside, he can very clingy to people he likes especially Andrew, who he falls in love with.
So, can chemistry actually happen between them?

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:34 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Write it and see.

Chemistry isn't one of those things you can pre-plan all that easily. You, in a sense, have to develop the characters together as a unit, instead of independently. You can't just put in "traits of one" and "traits of the other" and play matchup.

You have to know how they react to the other. You can find a person's rigidity absolutely insufferable, but they make you laugh when you're down and the traits balance each other out, so you date them and understand rigidity is just part of them so if you want their whole selves you have to accept it.

Try not to have too many traits the other outright resents, because resentment can fester into a broken down relationship over time.

Really, we can't answer if there's chemistry or not. You have to develop them together, develop their non-negotiables in relationships (like, anybody who wants kids desperately will not be happy with somebody who doesn't want kids), and figure out how they feel about the others' quirks and habits.

Like, my best friend's husband is an A+ human, wonderful, incredibly kind and caring, compassionate person. Most people would call him "a really impressive catch" (including me!). He and my best friend are really happy together.

I would never in a million years date him because he wants kids and no casual period of dating. You were either his girlfriend with a very strong implication you'd get married and start a family, or you were friends. I am not that type of person at all.

I've had tons of chemistry with a bunch of friends who I would never date. I've also had minimal chemistry with people I would consider dating (but I'm not in a place in my life I want to date). Chemistry isn't the only marker for relationships, and sticking with chemistry is a very unstable metric.

Besides that, the only way to get chemistry is to write the characters. I went through a whole multiple-hundred-thousand word story before realizing the chemistry between two characters was all wrong, so I had to go back and rewrite it while also tweaking one of the characters, because the way he was written it was impossible for those two characters to get together in a solid partnership.

But in other stories, the chemistry just doesn't happen. Getting into another project of mine, I'm realizing that a relationship I had wanted to spark and electrify just won't because of its context, and I've had to let that go.

Not all relationships work out, and part of being a writer is understanding that sometimes the pairings you want aren't the pairings you're going to get.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Surround yourself with people who are serious about being writers, and who will tell you, ‘Hey—you can do better than this.’ Who will be critical of your work, but also supportive. And who will not be competitive in a negative way.
— Isabel Quintero