z

Young Writers Society

Story concept

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:53 pm
AdamDods says...

Hey so i have been thinking alot lately about a story concept. It basically is about a middle aged university professor in the early 1900s and who's parents where very known in the academic world. He is told that it was time for him to embark on a expidition for research and this professor decides where to go by looking through his parents old research notes and journels and he finds discriptions of a place out in the edges of the Atlantic. And so him and his colleges travel on this ship to the location and find themselfs in a new world that is almost a mixture of alex in wonderland and lord of the rings but portrayed in a witty comical manner. Any ideas coments would like to hear about this concept gor a story.

1081 Reviews

Reviews: 1081
Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:42 am
View Likes
Virgil says...

Hi there, Adam!

Could you be a little more specific with what his parents did to be well-known in the academic world? What did they work on to become that famous? Those are the first questions I have.

What kind of expedition is he told to go on? Who tells him to go on this expedition? What kind of research is the professor looking for? What's in his parent's old research notes and journals? To me, this is the information that can make or break the idea. I'm going to assume when mentioning 'colleges' you meant 'colleagues' since that makes more sense.

As for the idea, what I'm worried about is the portal fantasy aspect coming out of nowhere. Is there some form of foreshadowing or reasoning why the professor ends up in this world? How do they enter this new world? Are they able to get out? Overall though, remember that the actual idea doesn't matter as much as how the content is executed. A strong presentation of the concept that you're playing around with is more important than what the concept is.

I'm a little worried about the mix between The Lord of the Rings and Alice in Wonderland. What does this mean for the new world they're going to find? Seems as if you're attempting to go for a more humorous portal fantasy though I can see that in the real world this is set in the 1900s.

When in the 1900s? Is it specifically that decade? Technology is drastically different depending on where this takes place and when it takes place? Taking those details into account will be crucial in making this accurate. Of course, some form of research is needed for getting the contemporary or real world aspects of this story right.

In short, I can see this being interesting, though take a focus on the quality of writing instead of what's actually being written. Stories don't have to have a fresh idea to be interesting or strong, though this can be an enhancement. Just for the record though, I can see this being engaging when done right.

Good luck with your writing!

Will Review For Food - Always taking review requests!

Discuss the last piece of media you consumed in Media Reviews!

Irresponsibly-conceived assignments don't deserve responsibly-executed complies.
— Persistence