z

Young Writers Society

Letting a new work sit

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:06 am
View Likes
beccalicious94 says...

After you've written something, how long do you usually let it "sit" for before you look at it again to make edits?

1081 Reviews

Reviews: 1081
Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:50 am
View Likes
Virgil says...

I usually write something, and if it's not something that I immediately adored, take a couple days before looking at it or editing it. Then there's the case of posting the work if I end up posting it, and then I tend to give myself time to get upset about the reviews I'm given if they point out some very logical points (this only happens some of the time nowadays that I've gotten thicker skin with handling critique).

That's mainly when I give myself a couple of hours to regain mental strength and positivity before I go back to make those edits that are appropriately needed. The upset part isn't as much about the reviewer as it is that the great reviewers usually bring up some very valid points that tend to take a jab into me though overall help me a lot once I've gotten over the fact that there are some flaws of the work.

It depends on the stage of editing for me and how busy I am. If it's something I never really enjoyed in the first place though I think it has potential, it'll be a bit longer though. Hope this helps answer your question! It varies on how important the writing is to be, for a short answer.

Will Review For Food - Always taking review requests!

Discuss the last piece of media you consumed in Media Reviews!

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:12 pm
View Likes
Shota says...

For me at least a day, and that is with everything. Speeches, novels, short stories, anything that involves me writing. I feel like sleeping on it allows me to come back with a fresh pair of eyes. If I wait too long, like a couple weeks, I tend to forget or struggle to fully grasp the heart behind what I was trying to say.

But giving a nice break, also allows me to gather my mental focus, which might be drained emotionally after pouring out my heart on a piece of paper! Sometimes I am able to jump back in a few hours later, but I still always reread it after a day to make sure it still sounds as good as it did before :D

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:12 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

For novels I take months, usually at least six. I've found that only by taking some serious time away, I can come back with fresh eyes and make necessary changes. This also gives my readers plenty of time to read, digest, and make suggestions which is crucial for a good edit anyway. If I don't take substantial time away, I've found that I end up wasting my time with edits because I'm not making edits that really matter in the long run and the next draft will be too similar to the previous draft. I need time to think and consider and work on other things so the story doesn't get stale for me, and then when I'm ready to work on it again I'm excited and I have fresh ideas.

For example, for my novel baby Captive, I didn't take much time between drafts 1-3. Draft 2 was pretty much identical to draft 1, and draft 3 had more changes but was still very similar to draft 1. I liked draft 3, but something still felt off. There was at least a year between finishing the third draft and starting the fourth draft. By the time I started the fourth draft I was excited, I had a pretty good idea what the flaw was, and I was ready to start fresh. Now, I'm querying this novel to agents and I've gotten a few requests! This wouldn't have happened if I had rushed through my edits. :D
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:54 am
View Likes
Mea says...

Yeah, with my novel Mixing Magic, I wrote the first draft, and then immediately went back and did a bit of a continuity/proofreading edit that involved re-writing a decent portion of the first third (though stuff still slipped through, believe me). This was mostly so it would be at least somewhat cohesive, enough to let people read anyway.

Now, a year later, I've gotten all the feedback, let it sit, written another novel in the meantime, and now I'm ready for Draft 2. So I definitely let my stuff sit for a while unless there's something I know I need to immediately fix.

With poetry, I tend to be constantly editing things as I go, and often I'll just post it right after finishing. I'll wind up editing a few days later after reviews come in.
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:13 am
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Usually it's between 3 and 6 months for me, no matter what I'm working on.

My rule of thumb is to let it sit long enough for you to forget about it. Something that happens when you try to edit a work you still remember is you're actually reading from memory instead of reading the words on the page. That's why changing the format when you proofread is so important (and why you catch typos in emails after you've sent them).

Poetry I do leave just as long, simply because poetry is so personal to me that I need to get away from the situation before I can edit.

Once I've forgotten about it, then I go back and read it without the emotional wash of "this is so bad" and "in my head this scene reads like so."
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

You walk into this room at your own risk, because it leads to the future, not a future that will be but one that might be. This is not a new world, it is simply an extension of what began in the old one. It has patterned itself after every dictator who has ever planted the ripping imprint of a boot on the pages of history since the beginning of time. It has refinements, technological advances, and a more sophisticated approach to the destruction of human freedom. But like every one of the super states that preceded it, it has one iron rule: logic is an enemy and truth is a menace.
— Rod Serling