z

Young Writers Society

Haunting

91 Reviews

Reviews: 91
Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:02 pm
Redbox275 says...

I'm in progress of writing a screenplay about a boy named Mike going to study with the girl he has a crush on, Nicole, and while they study, he plans to ask her out. He is giving himself a pep talk in the bathroom when Conner appears.

However, the thing about Conner is that he is a ghost and Nicole's dead boyfriend. I don't reveal how he died, but I think it happened a while ago.

As I am writing this, I have an idea that Conner could be, instead of the boyfriend who died a friend who died who had feelings for Nicole but wants to sabotage Mike's attempts not because he is a boyfriend but because Conner hates he never confessed to Nicole while he was alive.

They go to the library. The trouble I'm having is thinking of ideas that Conner could annoy Mike, the climax, and juggling Mike's nervousness of asking Nicole out and dealing with Conner.

Also, I had another idea that there would be a twist that Conner is sabotaging Mike not because he is in love with Nicole but because he is in love with Mike. This is an alternative idea to Conner being the boyfriend. I kind of don't like plot twists. I feel its cliché in young screenwriting because they can't make a non twist ending. However, on the other hand I feel like a gay character is something I don't see among the student films at my school (I'm writing this to be potentially be made into a student film).

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:36 am
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

One thing to keep in mind is not all representation is good representation! A vengeful gay character when there are no other gay characters around reinforces the concept that gay= vengeful, and that if you have a gay person with a crush on you, then the gay person will sabotage all your attempts.

This is already a pervasive cultural myth that contributes to homophobia, and you have to be aware of that when you create a situation such as this.

My one question, though, is why doesn't Connor go after Nicole? Usually when men feel jilted by women, they go after women instead of other men (sometimes with the exception of if the new boyfriend is a person of colour and the girl is white, then the target is often the person of colour).

But I am genuinely wondering why the assumption is going after the guy instead of going after the girl.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

91 Reviews

Reviews: 91
Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:07 am
Redbox275 says...

That is a good point. It would be more effective to go after Nicole and confront her, but I made it so that only Mike can only see him....which I'm not sure why it is like that.

This story was based on a anime called Natsuyuki Randebū. It is about a man who falls in love with a woman at a flower shop but finds he is haunted by the woman's deceased husband and only the MC can see him, so that is where the idea came from.

“And how shall I think of you?' He considered a moment and then laughed. 'Think of me with my nose in a book!”
— Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell