z

Young Writers Society

Help me name someone?

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:13 pm
Holysocks says...

I normally feel very strongly that the writer needs to chose an appropriate name for their character(s). But this one character has me stumped- well, no completely. I just feel that this is a good time to call in some reinforcements!

So I have this character who's a pain in the butt but a lovable pain in the butt. He's a winged person- so sort of looks like an angel in those regards, but he's not actually really called an angel. He's just a winged guy. The story is I guess urban fantasy- but just think fantasy, and the names can be whatever. I tend to like feminine male names on my male characters, for some reason. E.g: Perry, Mali... So feel free to be creative!

The name I gave him a bit ago- which was my first mistake, just giving him a name willy-nilly XP is Louis--- which does NOT suit him at all and it just doesn't fit. So yeah if you have any name suggestions, I'd love to hear them!
100% autistic

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:51 pm
View Likes
Iggy says...

Idk why but when I read "pain in the butt but a lovable pain in the butt" I thought of Leo from Percy Jackson... then Leo made me think of Charmed (he's a whitelighter which is their equivalent of an angel), so yeah, I'm gonna say Leo. x)
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

494 Reviews

Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:22 am
Holysocks says...

Hmm, I kinda like Leo! Thanks @Iggy! I'll think on that one. C:
100% autistic

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:54 am
UFO says...

People get stuck too much on finding 'good names' for characters, when really its not their name that matters but the things they do that make them memorable (unless they just have some wacky ass name)

I sometimes just open google maps, find a random city, and look at street names and pick one at random.

Mayfair Terrace? Ok, looks like my character's last name is Mayfair, because why not?

494 Reviews

Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:13 am
Holysocks says...

Most of the time, @UFO, I'm the same way! I take a couple eliments from some names, put them together, and have a name! However, I personally feel like names are important on characters. When don't have the right name for a character, I can tell, and it bothers me. Giving a character a name, in my opinion, completed them; it makes the feel more like people. Generally I do find the right name for my characters within five minutes or so, but I just wanted to see what folks would suggest, and if I'd like any of their suggestions.
100% autistic

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:39 pm
View Likes
UFO says...

that's cool. i just like throwing out alternative methods of problem solving that might not occur to some people.

WHAT'S UP, POTATOES?
— Rudy (Aru Shah and the Nectar of Immortality)