z

Young Writers Society

Best Friends?

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Sat May 20, 2017 9:53 pm
ShadowPrincess16 says...

Hello all!

So, as some of you know, I've been working on my book Mage Chronicles for two years now. I'm currently writing the second draft and I'm enjoying it. Recently, I've introduced a new character (his name is Cassius Storm) and he's going to be central to the storyline. He's the best friend of my main character, Ryder. Cassius isn't mentioned until his entrance in chapter fourteen because he's on a work assignment in Africa during the beginning of the book. My problem is that I'm not sure if I should have mentioned before now. He wasn't able to contact Ryder before because of his work (he's an assassin) but he does as soon as he's able.

If you were reading this, would you prefer to have prior knowledge of Cassius or would you be okay with his current entrance?

Thank you in advance!
ShadowPrincess16
“wanting what you could not have led to misery and madness”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Prince

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat May 20, 2017 11:03 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

If a person is in "best friend" territory, I'd expect to have heard about them before— regardless of whether or not contact was available.

I've been in that situation, where I couldn't contact my best friend, and she was all I talked about. Like, I'd talk about other things for awhile, then "I miss doing x with her", "I'd normally do this with her", "I want to tell her about this but I can't."

Even when I make new friends, and I talk about my life, she comes up in a hurry. She is a major presence in my life even when she's gone— honestly, especially when she's gone.

If you don't show any sort of loneliness or missing them or excitement about getting back, I'd seriously doubt "best friend" status. Part of chemistry is plain old wanting each other and thinking about each other, and if you don't have that then it just feels like acquaintances at best.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Sun May 28, 2017 1:22 am
ShadowPrincess16 says...

Thank you! I'm sorry it took me so long to get back to you on this. I don't have internet at home yet (we just moved into a new house) so it takes a while for me to get to a place with wifi sometimes.

That's what I was worried about. My main character loses another of his best friends (he has two) and it hits him really hard. I was worried that it would come off as a replacement if I didn't mention him a few times throughout the book before his entrance. Thanks!
“wanting what you could not have led to misery and madness”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Prince

GET ON IT PEEPS
— Nate