z

Young Writers Society

My Three Options

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Mon May 01, 2017 5:11 pm
DragonNoir says...

There is nothing here. Find something else please :)
Last edited by DragonNoir on Sun May 21, 2017 11:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
"I don't need eyes to see that I have talent." - Brandon Rogers

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue May 02, 2017 11:04 pm
View Likes
Vervain says...

Hey! So I'm not going to review these ideas one by one, per se -- I might touch on a few details that caught my eye as I read, but I have a different kind of post for you.

These are all perfectly good ideas for stories. I'm dead serious -- ask anyone in this forum and we'd tell you that there are very very few things that qualify as bad ideas at their core. Simplify the biggest, most well-known published plots into one-sentence or one-paragraph summaries and you'd have the same sentences and paragraphs that the rest of us are writing as unpublished authors.

I think the issue I have with these ideas is that they're very simplistic. Not that they're simple, not at all! But looking at them, the way they're written, these ideas show a simplified view of the world: A world where a girl can become a figure skater easy as pie (it takes years and years of training to get good enough to compete, for most people). A world where teenagers are thrown at random into asylums for no reason, and they don't know why. A world where it's possible for every single member of an entire species' government to be drunk at the same time to declare war, and where the other side refuses ceasefire for no apparent reason (other than the trite standard "humans are evil").

These worlds you've made aren't bad, not by a long shot. They're just not realistic in the least. And in order to make them realistic, you'll have to sit down and do your research -- what does it take for a nation to declare war on another? What are the processes? What are the levels of society where dragons and humans function together, considering they live side by side?

Why was Veronica sent to the asylum? Why does Katrina take care of Will and Veronica? What is Veronica's actual personality (because no one ever has a "white girl in every book/movie" personality, I am dead serious)?

For that matter, something that bugged me: What purpose does Veronica serve in the first idea? She brings nothing to the story. She simply "exists" alongside Will. She doesn't take any actions, she doesn't bring any insight, she doesn't serve any purpose. The second she starts to take action, she's knocked out and prevented from actually doing anything. She has no reason to exist, so why does she? Create one, and your readers will be much happier with her.

On another note: I assume you mean for these to all be short stories, novellas, or novels. However, with the way the synopses are written, these sound more like ideas for episodic formats like television or anime -- and that doesn't translate as well to prose as we'd like it to. While it's awesome to see a show and go "I want to write that", we have to put a lot more work in transcribing it to the page than just copying it. Novels have a completely different structure from shows, and it's important to recognize that when you're writing your ideas.

One thing that I am totally 100% behind is writing graphic novels. It's a little different from a standard novel, but it gives you that mix of textual and visual storytelling -- and a graphic novel can be released as an issue or as a volume to give you the episodic rising and falling tension of a show. Maybe consider looking into one of those, if you hadn't already, because it sounds like these ideas lend themselves more to the visual spectrum than some other ideas might.

Good luck, and peace!
stay off the faerie paths

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Wed May 03, 2017 6:44 am
DragonNoir says...

Thank you so much for this feedback. When it comes to the sinplicity, I was quite tired when writing this, but I'll be sure to update it in more detail today. The problem with the ideas being realistic will probably be solved after I rewrite it. I'll PM you when I updated it, if you wish. Anyways, thanks for the feedback!
"I don't need eyes to see that I have talent." - Brandon Rogers

Adventure is worthwhile.
— Aesop