z

Young Writers Society

Need Pseudonym For Character

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:27 am
View Likes
Feltrix says...

There's a character in my book, Ascension, who I want to go under a different name for a little while so he can sneak into an elven village and do shady things (not quite sure what yet). He's a villain, but he mainly uses light magic. For now, I'm calling him the Shadow, because he comes at night, but that doesn't make a huge amount of sense considering he uses light magic. Also, I want to break out of the whole dark=bad, light=good cliché. There are roughly 43, 000 YWSers. Someone must have a good idea.
Intrepid Explorer
Squire of the Green Room
Harbinger of the Cosmic Squid
Brief Castaway
Founder of Hermits United
TIME Magazine's 2006 Person of the Year
Dark Matter Overlord
Kind of a Big Deal

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:54 am
View Likes
SnowGhost says...

Luke and Lucas are Latin names that means light. Luca is an Italian name that means bringer of light. Kiran is a Sanskrit name that means beam of light. Alok is a Hindu name that means light. Dritan is a Albania name meaning light. Hope this helps!
Just killing time until time kills me.

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:54 pm
View Likes
Tenyo says...

I love the idea of an evil villain using light magic.

You could go for something cosmic, like Meteor, which can be a bright and very destructive thing if it lands, and it comes in the night and looks a little too pretty for the damage it can do.

Aurora might be a good one, like the northern lights. It's more commonly a girls name but it can be adjusted.

Sundog is a daylight thing, but still kind of fits. It's the name of a 'fake sun' when sunlight interacts with ice crystals in the air and makes a bright light either side of the sun, that to a wary adventurer can disorientate their navigation.
We were born to be amazing.

472 Reviews

Reviews: 472
Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:40 pm
View Likes
Lightsong says...

I seriously can't bring up a name right now, but I'm tackling this issue in a different angle which hopefully would help you.

He sneaks into an elven village and does shady things... Well. If he needs a pseudonym, that must mean there'd be someone to know his fake name, and if he wants to sneak into an elven village, he has to blend with the non-humans.

Which comes to the point of having an elven name. I don't know what kind of name an elven has, but perhaps that would be a good starting point for research. Him having an elven name would make him less stand out from the midst of elvens, and gives him more stealth points.

Also, anagram! It's a common way of making up a pseudonym. Basically, you just have to mess with the letters of his name and come up with a new one. So if his name is Ascension, it can be... Cissa Neon! Or anything else you can make of your own. c:
"Writing, though, belongs first to the writer, and then to the reader, to the world.

The subject is a catalyst, a character, but our responsibility is, has to be, to the work."

- David L. Ulin

I continue to be a reverse hipster, I only do things after they've ceased being cool
— BluesClues