z

Young Writers Society

Should my character have autisum in addition to visual impai

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:11 pm
queenofscience says...

Should Willow be 'on the spectrum' as in, should she be on the autism spectrum in addition to having a visual impairement (Retinitis pigmentosa)?

Read this only if you know about my story.

I keep imaging her with having autistic symptoms, also, she's obsessed with learning about cells, microscopic animals/wanting to use the PREFORM device and to become a veternarian. Willow is meek and kind. She loves science and animals/comic books....anddd she knows how to make pepper spray for self defence if she needs to. She's terrified that people will hurt her/or could if they wanted to, because she's disabled.

Sooo....I know that many books feature autistic characters....but I was wondering...

Do many books have famale autistic characters?

In general, is autism protrayed in a possitive way ( as in aspects of their condition helping them) or negitive?

It is protrayed in a medicaly accurit way?

Thank you. Like I said, this is idea. I'm on the fence about it.
I am the science and science fiction guru.

The mind is beautiful, yet brilliant. You can think, create, and imagine so many things.

Eugenics= scientific racism.

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:12 am
View Likes
crossroads says...

Short answer: I'm voting against it.

Slightly less short answer: Autism isn't just a label you can put on a character, and it requires a lot of care and research if you want to present it in a respectful, accurate way. There's much more to it than what you've listed, and it's not as easy to portray as it may seem on first glance.

Here's why I vote no on the idea: I applaud your dedication to characters with various disabilities and diagnoses, I think it's really cool that you're interested in writing stories about us, but I also think that you may end up trapping yourself in just dealing with too much at once. I'd suggest you focus on what you have, do your research and make accurate, respectful, awesome portrayals of characters with the diagnoses you'd already decided on for them. And then write more stories, with more, different characters, and give equal attention to exploring other conditions if that's what interests you :]
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

46 Reviews

Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:37 am
View Likes
queenofscience says...

Hi. I forgot to say that yes, I know about autisum because I have it/have done reserched. So, i'm not just going into this blind. But anyways....

The mind is beautiful, yet brilliant. You can think, create, and imagine so many things.

46 Reviews

Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:39 am
queenofscience says...

Thank you for your reply. :) Great suggustion.

Alexa, are there European frat boys
— Carina