z

Young Writers Society

The Myriad: Ascension

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:17 am
Feltrix says...

I don't really know what I'm doing here, but I decided it would be nice to get all of my thoughts in one place.

Warning: Spoilers from the Myriad are hidden behind spoilers.

Synopsis

So, this is a fantasy set in a multiverse called the Myriad. On rare occasions, people with magic gain the ability to travel between the worlds through a process called Ascension, hence the name. These people are called Flickers. In the first book and the rest (yes, I'm already planning to make more. FYI, I've been planning on making more since I wrote the first draft of the first chapter half a decade ago), there are four protagonists: Corso, Thørn, Nyx, and Alsari. They rotate narration. This fact is non-negotiable. Nyx and Alsari have known they are Flickers for quite some time, but Thørn and Corso are both new to Flickering. In fact, they don't know that they're in a multiverse at first. Alsari and Thørn are captured by an organization known as the Eternian Academy, which is full of secrets and
Spoiler! :
plans for multiverse domination
. On another world, Nyx and Corso are taken in by elves after Corso's village is driven insane and Nyx is forced to try to kill him. At the same time, they fend off attacks from a mysterious entity named the Harbinger. Watching over this all are Phyrza the Hooded and Parallax the Mindbreaker, the
Spoiler! :
last of two beings called the Eternals. They see the entire Myriad as a game board and Flickers as chess pieces. [spoiler]The Eternal Game spans worlds and millennium, and Alsari, Thørn, Nyx, and Corso, known as the Maelstrom, are being drawn into it. [spoiler]No, putting a spoiler inside a spoiler wasn't a mistake. Neither was putting a spoiler inside a spoiler inside a spoiler.
[/spoiler][/spoiler]

Characters

Corso Ghostfire: Corso has lived his entire life in a tiny village on Alaran. He is stubborn and can be suspicious. He has a deep-set hatred for people keeping things from him and isn't the most tactful at figuring out what they are. He is friendly, but it is hard to get him to open up to people. He is a loyal and unwilling to leave the people he cares about. He is fourteen, and uses fire magic and swordsmanship to fight. He also
Spoiler! :
gains increased dexterity and shadow magic from Phyrza.

Thørn Feltrix: Thørn lives on Archora. His father is bad tempered and often dominates their house with his rants. Thørn is bullied at his school. He is a telepath, meaning he can read others thoughts as well as manipulate them, summon illusions, and use weak telekinesis. Due to his father's hatred of mages, he has kept his magic secret all his life, so they're very undeveloped. He's very intelligent, but has no physical attributes to speak of. He can be insensitive of others wishes in order to get what he wants.

Nyx the Alchemist: Nyx grew up on
Spoiler! :
Archora, but was born on a world she can barely remember. At the age of five, she was brought to Archora by Tolaren Strider, who raised her and taught her.
She's witty, has an immediate disrespect for authority, and is calm and often sarcastic in a crisis. She has a conscience, but often ignores it in favor of looking out for herself. She has a gauntlet which can shoot fire, ice, or lightning at will, but her magic is actually very weak. She is
Spoiler! :
87, as she drank the elixir of immortality, but appears to be

Alsari the Stoneshaper: Alsari is a
Spoiler! :
Firstborn, a race found only on Karadan.
After
Spoiler! :
Karadan was destroyed by the Ghostfire unleashed by Parallax,
she fled to Archora. Alsari is a powerful physically and magically.
Spoiler! :
Like the rest of her kind,
she is a lithomancer, and a particularly powerful one. She can control stone and metal, bending it to her will. She is stubborn and has become bitter and closed off after
Spoiler! :
Karadan was destroyed,
but she is also a loyal friend. She is extremely distrusting and resistant to any kind of authority or organization. She is
Spoiler! :
167, but due to the way the Firstborn age, appears

Main Settings

Alaran: Alaran has no powerful leadership; it is a world constantly at war with itself. There are loose alliances and kingdoms, but no group can gain any amount of power for long. Most of it is a wasteland or wilderness, filled with primal beasts. Nevertheless, towns exist, protected by walls they erect to dissuade attackers. Wizards are feared and respected.

Archora: Archora is a highly advanced steampunk world. Most of their technology is powered by æther, a mysterious substance syphoned seemingly from no where. Æther powers flying ships and the Clockwork, which are basically steampunk robots. This world is a monarchy,
Spoiler! :
but the King is really a puppet for the Eternian Academy.
Most of Archora is a city, and it is difficult to rise from anonymity. Being a mage is the easiest way to do so. Unlike on Alaran, magic is restricted to a certain type for a person. For instance, pyromancer, necromancer, something else ending in -mancer.

Again, I don't really no the purpose of this, but it's nice to have a basis for my book all in one place.
Intrepid Explorer
Squire of the Green Room
Harbinger of the Cosmic Squid
Brief Castaway
Founder of Hermits United
TIME Magazine's 2006 Person of the Year
Dark Matter Overlord
Kind of a Big Deal

The most difficult thing in the world is to know how to do a thing and to watch somebody else doing it wrong, without comment.
— T. H. White