z

Young Writers Society

New Tags for Writers Corner

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:59 pm
View Likes
crossroads says...

Hello from the secret super ninja den of yours truly, the Res crew.
A while ago, as you may know, Kyllorac posted the thread meant to improve the already existing tags, as well as spark a discussion about adding some new ones. (If you haven't seen it before, please go ahead and give it a read, we'd really appreciate the feedback) Now, in the light of all the amazing activity this place is bustling with, we've decided to put together a list of tags (mostly genre-specific) that we hope you'll find useful.

Before we go ahead and add them to the actual tag list, however, we'd like your input. What do you think about these tags suggested, and do you have any additional requests?

· Fantasy
    · Horror
    · Literary
    · Romance
    · Action
    · Historical
    · Humour
    · Mystery
    · Science Fiction
    · Paranormal
    · YA (standing for young adult)
    · NA (standing for new adult)
    · MG (standing for middle grade)
    · Magic Realism
    · Narrative
    · General (including mainstream/contemporary fiction)
    · Non-fiction
    · Fanfiction

· LMS
    · Novel
    · Poetry
    · Shorts

-

Please remember that, in the interest of keeping the forum readable, a topic should ideally have three tags max -- and for the same reason, we reserve the right to remove any tags that aren't relevant to the topic.
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:41 am
View Likes
Holysocks says...

I'm loving the LMS tag. All of them look great to me.

I'd like to suggest a Flash Fiction tag, but at the same time I'm not sure if anyone would really plan out a flash fiction... but who knows? I might? Just a thought. though I suppose there IS "general" so maybe that's all that's needed.

I'm a little confused about the NA (new adult) and MG (middle grade) tag, what are those for, exactly? Is NA like the books that are kind of kids' first novels ones? Like, the novella-type books that tend to have really long series of half-inch books? I'm just not sure what it is, is all! And what would middle grade be? Just curious!
100% autistic

621 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 621
Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:54 am
View Likes
Rook says...

would loooove a LMS tag. surprised there isn't one already tbh.
Instead, he said, Brother! I know your hunger.
To this, the Wolf answered, Lo!

-Elena Passarello, Animals Strike Curious Poses

260 Reviews

Reviews: 260
Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:17 am
View Likes
TriSARAHtops says...

@Holysocks NA is typically a sort of step up from YA in terms of the age bracket - the characters are usually in their late teens/early twenties (therefore the target audience is around the same age), and it tends to explore themes that are similar to YA, but also a little more mature. MG is on the other end, and personally I tend to lump it in with YA, but it's targeted at sort of 10-14 year olds (ish?), the characters are about the same age, and it's a bit more grown up than children's novels, but not quite YA yet.

Also love the idea of an LMS tag!
if we wait until we're ready
we'll be waiting
for the rest of our lives

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:58 am
ScarlettFire says...

I'm liking all these tags. The only thing I'd suggest is a urban fantasy and/or supernatural tag. Supernatural could go under paranormal even though they're not exactly the same thing, but maybe paranormal/supernatural might work better? I write a lot of urban fantasy and it's always frustrating when I can't really find that genre for things.
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:15 am
View Likes
BluesClues says...

I was just thinking about an LMS tag this morning.

117 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:45 am
Featherstone says...

What are these tags? I know I should know this, but I've only been around a few months, so gimme a break XD
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

he/him/his

1081 Reviews

Reviews: 1081
Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:49 am
View Likes
Virgil says...

I'd love to see a LMS tag as well. I'm not exactly sure if I like the abbreviations of the genres, Young Adult, New Adult, and Middle Grade and I think to clear up confusion you can just label them as that if that works.

Another thing that I wanted to touch on is that it doesn't really happen to have all the genres, nor could you have all of them, but I see that you're missing a few umbrella genres or things such as articles or essays, stuff that is fiction but isn't a novel and everything of that sort, but I think you covered most of it. Instead of General for things like contemporary fiction, I suggest playing around with it and changing it to the tag of Realistic perhaps?

General doesn't really fit it for me in my mind. Following up on @Holysocks I also think that a Flash Fiction tag would be beneficial just because you have the bottom couple of umbrella tags for the type of work that you're actually doing. I love the idea of suggestions, and if you get more ideas, toss them out as well.

Responding to @featherstone9086, these are tags for the Writers Corner and generally help sort out things there to show what type of work you're going to be talking about and everything of that sort. Say you're working on something that has paranormal elements, the idea is that you'd put that tag there.

Will Review For Food - Always taking review requests!

Discuss the last piece of media you consumed in Media Reviews!

117 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:49 am
Featherstone says...

Awesome, thanks @Nikayla!
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

he/him/his

117 Reviews

Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:28 am
View Likes
crossroads says...

Good to see you all are mostly in favour of the tags! Some great thoughts/suggestions, too~

Re: the LMS tag, I think the reason it didn't exist was partly because LMS came to be before the tags were (re?)introduced, and writing the three letters in the title or description of the topic isn't that big of a deal anyway. However, with LMS growing in popularity and the LMS topics mixing up with the non-LMS ones, having a tag will help make it all more clear and easily visible.

Re: YA, NA and MG. I thought that the latter two might be confusing to some, and I'd rather remove them than spell them out, and maybe bring it up for discussion again if we get an influx of NA and MG threads in the WC (I don't think many people write them as such anyway?)
As for YA, I think it should stay. Young Adult is something I think people are generally familiar with, especially if it's the only one (as in, no NA to confuse people). If spelling it out instead of using the abbreviation would make it better, sure, that can definitely happen :)

Re: Flash Fiction, I see no reason why not.
And while on the subject of umbrella tags, along the lines of what Nikayla mentioned already, do you think "non-fiction" is enough on its own, or would you like to see tags for different types of it as well? Maybe memoirs or something?
Also, how about a general "Fiction" tag?

Re: General/contemporary and Realistic -- they aren't the same things, as something can be the former without being the latter, but switching one for the other is definitely an option. Is "General" unnecessary with all the other genres and umbrella tags? Would having both "General" and "Realistic" get too confusing?

Re: Paranormal/Supernatural and UF. I know the former two aren't the same thing, but I worry that adding both would make it more confusing. However, "Paranormal/Supernatural" is long... thoughts? Add both, keep as is, switch one for the other, put them together with the slash in between?
As for UF (urban fantasy), that's a suggestion I actually got from another person in private chat as well, so counting Scar that's two votes for it. Since we don't seem to be big fans of abbreviations, should we add it as "Urban Fantasy"?
Personally, I'm a bit torn about UF. I know many people write it, but then, there's quite a few other sub-genres that people write and that aren't on the list either. On the other hand, I can see how actual UF threads might end up labeled as magic realism or something instead if we don't specifically include it...

There was something else I wanted to bring up-- ah, yes. How about these?

· Christian Fiction (or rather more broadly, Religious Fiction)
    · LGBTQ

The former is a genre not many are writing on YWS, but a genre nonetheless.
The latter isn't really a genre (although I see it used as such in places, as well as to describe novels and lure agents, so maybe it's a matter of time before it officially becomes one), but I think quite a few pieces by us YWSers fall under the category.
Thoughts?
- they/them -

212 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:19 pm
ScarlettFire says...

A lot of the UF I write is YA or NA. So I think having the New Adult tag, at least, would be good.

Re: Paranormal/Supernatural tag. I don't think that will be hugely confusing? But it is long, yeah. Perhaps Para/SPN could work as an abbreviation? Anyone else have any thoughts?

1081 Reviews

Reviews: 1081
Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:25 pm
View Likes
Virgil says...

I'm down for the tag of Urban Fantasy as well. On the topic of General and Realistic, I think there should be a tag for realistic fiction and I don't really know what General would be for all that much. What do you have in mind for it? I think Urban Fantasy should stay without abbreviation since that only adds more confusion. I do agree with you on the fact that a lot more people know what YA is but they don't really know what MG or NA would stand for, though I already knew what they were.

I'm all for a LGBTQ genre since I think it would be pleasant for people who have those elements in their story. And I don't mind Religious Fiction (I don't think it should be Christian Fiction since not all fiction that has religious elements are automatically Christian.) I do think that Non-fiction works enough on its own since it's more of an umbrella thing but if someone else can find a better term than that, I'm all for it.

For Paranormal/Supernatural, I think one will be fine because they're basically the same thing, though I do think Supernatural is more of an umbrella genre compared to Paranormal, which makes it more effective, but I also want to hear others thoughts on that.

Will Review For Food - Always taking review requests!

Discuss the last piece of media you consumed in Media Reviews!

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:59 am
Holysocks says...

Huh, I've never heard the terms NA and MG. I've personally always lumped them all under YA or really just, never found a reason to label my work under age groups. I don't know, I personally just never liked labels like "YA" because I feel like it gives the impression that those books are for a certain age group, rather than about one, and that kinda bothers me- but that's a whole different discussion. Thanks for telling me about them though, @TriSARAHtops! c:
100% autistic

117 Reviews

Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:41 am
View Likes
crossroads says...

Alright, I suppose this marks the death of the YA tag! Without the others, I suppose having just one age-based tag doesn't make much sense after all.

How's this for the updated list?

· Fantasy
    · Horror
    · Literary
    · Romance
    · Action
    · Historical
    · Humour
    · Mystery
    · Science Fiction
    · Supernatural
    · Urban Fantasy
    · Magic Realism
    · Narrative
    · Realistic
    · Religious (or Religious Fiction?)
    · LGBTQ
    · Non-fiction
    · Fanfiction

· LMS
    · Novel
    · Poetry
    · Shorts
    · Flash Fiction

Also, despite what I just said about age-specific tags, do you think it'd be beneficial to have 16+ and 18+ ones?
- they/them -

212 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:22 am
ScarlettFire says...

Re: 16+ and 18+ tags. Might be a good idea?

If a million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing.
— Anatole France