The Fire Underneath of Things

621 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 621
Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:00 am
View Likes
Rook says...

QUICK HOOK:
a story about a girl full of flowers and steel and shadows and a boy full of electricity and mysteries. Where the world is made of glass and paper.

GENERAL INFORMATION:

genre: aiming for steampunk

POV: switching between Ivy Blackwell and Lennox Grey

Working-title List: Ivy and Grey (meh), The Fire Underneath of Things (maybe), (open to suggestions)

What's LMS?: The Last Man Standing: Round III
Instead, he said, Brother! I know your hunger.
To this, the Wolf answered, Lo!

-Elena Passarello, Animals Strike Curious Poses

621 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:14 am
View Likes
Rook says...

My struggle of names:

Girl - (hazel, gwen, magnolia, clara, Nikky,
Blackwell

Boy - (james? Thomas? )
(radford, Gray, Parkins)

Thomas (tommy, tom) Grayson

Lennox Gray

Mason, samson, morgan
---
Finally settling on:
Ivy Blackwell and Lennox Gray
with Ivy's friend named Nikki Radford
---

Names for other characters:

Inventor: Aberforth?
Working name: Alder Thornton

Ivy's Dad: Jack?
Working name: Jack Blackwell

Ivy's Mom: Lilly? no. too much like HP. Rose? Delilah? Gwen?
working name: Rose Blackwell

Ivy's Grandma:
Working name: Gwen Blackwell

Grey's friend?: tommy?
Working name: Tommy Twain

621 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:28 am
View Likes
Rook says...

Long summary of characters, relations, and plot:

There probably aren't any really bad spoilers in here. Read this to get an idea of the characters mostly, and the plot briefly.
Spoiler! :

Ivy Blackwell is a florist and a recluse. Her friend Nikki Radford is quite extroverted, and a farmer. She brings Ivy the flowers. They knew each other as kids. Ivy's Mother died in childbirth, and her father mysteriously disappeared one day after he went to the mountain. Ivy's grandmother looked after her until she'd grown up.

Lennox Grey (just called Grey) loves to tinker. I'm iffy on his backstory. Maybe he ran away from home, maybe his parents were jailed and he left on the streets. One of those, really. Because of course the parents can't be around. Now he's working for this crazy old inventor as a parts-runner and word-spreader.

This crazy old inventor knows something's coming. He found proof in a dead scientist's field guide. He's trying to spread the word to prepare for this catastrophe, but no one will listen. At the same time, he's building a machine he thinks will prevent it.

Grey's friend Tommy works with the inventor as well. He's from far away, and seems not to understand simple things, like magic (???) but knows all about... electricity? I think there might be elements of fantasy in this book. I've always wanted to write a book where the would-be hero of another story is just a side character. Tommy crossed worlds from ours to theirs, but we don't really care about him that much. Though he does know some important things.

Basically, Grey will run into Nikki, and she'll drag Ivy to this "secret society" or something, that the inventor runs. They'll think he's crazy (and so will the reader), but play along just to have something to do for fun or something. It's kind of exciting, yeh? But then it will become apparent that he's not so crazy after all.

The skies will darken, and there will be a monster lurking in the night. Everyone will be afraid. The Inventor's contraption will help cage the beast, but ultimately, Ivy is the only one who can stop it.

I'd like to give Grey an equally-important part, but I just can't think of one right now!

621 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:06 am
View Likes
Rook says...

Short list of plot points, sub plots, and further conflicts:

Warning: probably spoilers for subplots in here.

Spoiler! :

-Grey infiltrates fancypants party
-Ivy and Nikki spend time at Nikki's farm
-Ivy finds a mean black cat and takes it in
-Ivy's shop does poorly
-Grey sneaks around? lol
wait.
he's a bit of a gadgeteer, and he does odd jobs like lamplighting and chimney-sweep (maybe not that exactly but hey). He also has this little mechanical friend that can pick locks. Maybe in his spare time he breaks into houses just to see what they look like? or like... something. And then he starts stealing small things, and by the end he's been corrupted quite a bit, and his kleptomania leads to complications of the main plot somehow and ups the tension.
From Sunny: "Make ivy an accomplice at some point and she didn't know she was and when she finds out she does something as a coming out of her shell moment"
-Grey teaches ivy how to tinker and do machine things, and he falls in love with her a bit, but the feeling isn't mutual exactly.

OKAY:
I think, maybe it would go like grey starts stealing, makes ivy help him on a device which helps him break into a jewelry place to get her a necklace to show his affection. Before this, she sooorta liked him but after, not at all. He says he'll change his ways and she is reluctantly his friend again. But he doesn't change his ways. Now instead of eating his emotions of disappointment in himself, he's stealing them, so his problem gets worse and worse. He steals something he think will help the cause for the main plot, something really valuable, and he gets caught and thrown in jail and has to bust his way out to help save the day at the last minute.

Character arc for Ivy: She moves from X-TREME shy to confidence
arc for Grey: Good boy to corrupted boy to redeemed boy

-Ivy thinks she's being haunted so she goes to that one machine in the workshop that Grey claims is for warding off ghosts and something happens.

Ideas for machines in the workroom:

-bowler hats
-coffee
-anti-ghost
-"One day, he built a decorative item for his saltwater fish. But ever since he put it in, the fish kept dying. This is because unbeknownst to him, he built a water desalination machine." - gringo
-"He has a machine that can catch a certain bug but the bugs aren't native to the region" -Sunny
-"He built a machine that could paint but instead of painting something like Monet, he would actually paint modern contemporary art which was viewed as trash in that time" -sunny
-"He's been trying to build one that would blow up the sun because it keeps shining too brightly on the place where he positioned his dining table" -gringo
-"Maybe he has a machine that will rid the city of its garbage.
Coincidentally, he considers children to be garbage" -gringo
-"There's just a button in this lair. Not even he's quite sure what it does" gringo

498 Reviews

Reviews: 498
Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:18 am
Que says...

<3 All your ideas and stuffs and everything are so so good. :,)
Parlez-vous français?

Who's the more foolish, the fool, or the fool who follows him?
— Obi-Wan Kenobi