Madly

279 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 279
Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:51 am
View Likes
Steggy says...

Heyo!

Madly is a novel I'm going to work on for LMS and hopefully going to continue it (if I don't get distracted by other things rip me). The main idea of the whole novel is a psych ward doctor is looking after a new patient, who is known to make other doctors leave because he's "crazy" and "plays mind tricks". The doctor, Ryan Manhattan, is hoping to change that. He's the youngest doctor to be working at the psych ward but keeps his personal life to himself. The patient is named Tad (from the records, he doesn't have a last name).
What turns into countless meetings also turns into something more. Even if it is against the rules, Ryan will find out that even the mentally insane can find love.

There's going to be some descriptive scenes in this as it is a horror/romance/suspense/comedy kinda piece (maybe?).

Anyway, I'll keep you all updated on my progress (I'm currently just planning out chapters and main details) and if you want to ask anything, lemme know! :D
You are like a blacksmith's hammer, you always forge people's happiness until the coal heating up the forge turns to ash. Then you just refuel it and start over. -Persistence (2015)

You have so much potential and love bursting in you. -Omnom

76 Reviews

Reviews: 76
Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:18 am
View Likes
Dest says...

@Steggy What brought this idea on? Are you a fan of psychological books?

279 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:31 pm
View Likes
Steggy says...

@Dest good question! I actually love psychological books. Anything dealing with the mind is something I deeply enjoy. And I got this idea from a writing prompt somewhere (I'd have to find it) and went with it.

Also, I've decided that the place where this novel will take place will be New York.
You are like a blacksmith's hammer, you always forge people's happiness until the coal heating up the forge turns to ash. Then you just refuel it and start over. -Persistence (2015)

472 Reviews

Reviews: 472
Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:10 pm
View Likes
Lightsong says...

I love the idea behind this! Anything psychological is definitely up my alley. Another question: can you explain more about the 'Even if it is against the rules, Ryan will find out that even the mentally insane can find love' part? It's intriguing, because I suspect the love is between Ryan and Tad. xD
"Writing, though, belongs first to the writer, and then to the reader, to the world.

The subject is a catalyst, a character, but our responsibility is, has to be, to the work."

- David L. Ulin

279 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:47 pm
View Likes
Steggy says...

@SirLight

Patients and doctors can't be in a relationship or begin to fall in love while both are inside the facility. The general management doesn't want relationships to arise because often times management fears that the mentally insane might change the doctors and if there was a relationship within the facility, news could spread and they do not want that image to ruin their company.

And yes, there may or may not be a relationship between Tad and Ryan. ;)

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:08 am
View Likes
BluesClues says...

It's more than that - doctors can have their licenses revoked for having a relationship with a patient.

But I already ship Tad and Ryan, and there's not even an actual story yet.

279 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:52 pm
View Likes
Steggy says...

There is going to be relationship with doctor/patient but it's one-sided. And, possibly, the story will take place during the late 80's (this isn't for sure; just a rough guess).

I've added some secondary characters to the mix, adding some tension in the psychward and possibly some love affairs.

279 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:55 am
Steggy says...

Here are the characters that are going to be in my novel (I'll add descriptions later on):

Spoiler! :
Dr. Ryan Manhattan - Age: 20
Tad - Age: 19
Dr. Matthew Hemlock - Age: 25
Madeline Criss - Age: 24
Dr. Richard CaNolio - Age: 45
Wendy - Age: 14
Luke Reynolds - Age: 18
Nurse Elly Washington - Age: 20
Martin McGrieves - Age: 30

Possible location:

Spoiler! :
New York, downtown Brooklyn, during the late '80's

I also planned out the ages/birthdays :D (this is the one novel that i actually did this in,, huh)

279 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:10 pm
Steggy says...

Madly: Chapter 1

First chapter up to go! I'm going to add some descriptions to the characters in the post above.

279 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:04 pm
Steggy says...

Madly: Chapter 2

The second chapter is up! In this chapter, I tried to do a different style because halfway through it, I was going through a small block but I'm over it hopefully.

Below will be the description of the characters in this novel:

Spoiler! :
Tad - permanently insane due to witnessing his sister’s and parents’ death. In return, Tad stabbed the murderer four times in the chest with a kitchen knife. Has bipolar disorder (happy->sad->mad->sad, etc). Introduced into the psych ward at the age of 10. Likes to draw pictures because often times he doesn’t like talking. Age: 19. Greasy brown hair with beady green eyes. Freckles that run over his nose. Thin lips.

Ryan - lives by himself. Mother and father died in a car crash. His eldest brother, Quincy (age: 25), is in law school. His sister, Alice (age: 20), lives in New York and works as a schoolteacher. Age: 20. Brown hair and brown eyes, with a slight stubble. He wears a wristwatch on his left arm and has reading glasses but secretly thinks he doesn't look good in them.

Matthew - the dorky, annoying worker. Ryan and him went to school together and are friends (he considers it to be ‘best friends’ but doesn’t want to move fast). His parents both stay home with their dog, Arthur. Age: 25. Dirty blonde hair and hazel eyes. Dimples when he smiles. Too energetic for Ryan's taste. Likes Madeline.

Madeline - introduced into the psych ward because of being in an abusive relationship that caused her to have jittery problems and to yell randomly in public. Age: 24.

Elly - a nurse who has a slight crush on Ryan. Her brother, Augustus (age: 23), works as a farm hand in Pennsylvania. Her mother left her father and hasn’t contacted them. Her father owns the farm (name: Dennis, age: 40). Age: 20. Blonde hair and red rimmed glasses. Stammers a lot. Awkward around people like Ryan.

Dr. Richard CaNolio - strict. old. very caring toward younger patients (almost too caring, some say). Age: 45.

I'll possibly add more about each character at the novel continues so stay tuned for more updates!

279 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:20 am
Steggy says...

Madly: Chapter 3

Okay so, this chapter was a little funky tbh (mainly because it took me a whole week and then some) but I figured out that Ryan has a backstory too and I mentioned some of it in this chapter. This also shows that Ryan and Tad kinda went through the same thing, thus bringing that sense of bonding.

I'm hoping the next chapter with be a flashback, I guess(?) of Ryan's life, maybe it'll be a form of a dream *shrug*.

Words are pale shadows of forgotten names. As names have power, words have power. Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts.
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind