z

Young Writers Society

Silence

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:03 pm
View Likes
PusheenTheCat says...

It all starts with a person that has no idea where they are from and he is called Manly ( strange name I know ). And here are some facts about this story so far because right now I need some more he making it sound and look better.

PLACE: The time in a place called Butterfly Landia. and in this area he lives there is a place called Chicken Burrito Landia were they do nothing but eat drink and go crazy.

TIME: The time right now is during a battle called the Great Uni War and the area's fighting are Rainbow Landia, Chicken Burrito Landia, and Butterfly Landia. What caused them to have this great fight was because one of the Landia's didn't like the rules that were being posted on there walls.

CHARACTER'S: Manly who lives in Chicken Burrito Landia, Lady who lives in Butterfly Landia, Luke and Delilah who live with lady, Si, Waffle, and Chubby Cubba's live with Manly, Misty, Jasmine, and Fillip live in a place called North Korea.

MANLY, SI, WAFFLE, AND CHUBBY CUBBA'S: All they do most of the time is drink, chug, and do everything they can to get ladies.

And this is where I stop because I don't know what to do with the other uni's Misty, Lady, Luke, Delilah, Jasmine, Fillip. If you could please help me.

54 Reviews

Reviews: 54
Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:53 pm
Desdemona says...

Too random. I think you need to think about your plot and what you want to achieve before generating weird characters and lands.
Excuse you, I'm your friggin' queen!

Don't take it too hard when you lose to me, I always win.

Spoiler! :
August 1, 2015 - April 21, 2016: BlackCatXx
April 21, 2016 -- Desdemona

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:37 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Well... that's certainly interesting ;)

I think you would call this literary nonsense, which is an actual genre of literature. One of the most famous examples is Alice in Wonderland.

As it's literary nonsense, why have the other characters do anything at all? One could be a character who just hysterically shrieks about the coming war, and another could be just digging a hole. Why are they digging a hole? Nobody knows.

If you want to add a deeper meaning to it all, and you by no means have to, you might make it about how some conflicts are themselves nonsense (which kind of seems like where you're going with this given the names of the different Landias). Carrol did this with Alice in Wonderland; that is, he was in part making fun of how adults often busy themselves with doing essentially nothing, making up the rules as they go along.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:11 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

You can go two routes with this!

1- Literal nonsense, who in the world cares, do whatever you want and just show them having fun. Nate outlined the genre pretty well.

2- Figure out how the people and setting fit together, then figure out where and how things will fall apart.

You can take a look at types of conflict and pick one or seven that crops up. Then it's just a case of figuring out how things fall apart, and how people will clash, and how the setting will stop them from reaching their goal.

Plot is characters+ setting+ goal= conflict. So you have the first two, but if you want to have something not pure nonsense, then figure out a conflict and go through the repercussions of it.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

What's the point of being a grown-up if you can't be a bit childish sometimes?
— 4th Doctor