z

Young Writers Society

First Chapter Done...How to Start the Next?

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:09 am
Gymnast2801 says...

I've finished my first chapter and it's short yet fills you in on some things, while leaving you with lots of questions. I really don't know how to start my next chapter though-- do I write about the conversation in the office or after it, while they are leaving?
Here is the chapter in case you'd like to read it:

Spoiler! :
Chapter One

The hands ticked from four to five. The noise of the ticking bounced off the walls, creating an echoing sound.

If I peered through a small window in the door, I could see my mother talking with the doctors. Their expressions seemed pale and concerned, and my mother seemed to be crying. They had warned me that this might be the case, that I might be one of them. A mutant, as some people at school called it.

But I refused to believe that I could truly be like them, hunted and alone. It just wasn't possible, I just couldn't be like that.

One of the doctors caught me peering at them, and they seemed to know that I was straining my ears to listen to what they had to say. The window was covered up with a shade and my sight of the doctors and my mother was gone. I looked around the hospital building, wondering what I should do now. It seemed obvious they would be talking for a while, because why not? I already knew the answer that they had. All the signs added up.

As I looked around, I noticed how everything was so white and perfectly clean. The leather chairs, the walls, the celling, and even the blinds that covered the tall windows. Why was everything so perfectly clean and arranged? Why couldn't there be something...different in the building. I've walked through this hospital enough to know that everything looks the same. Everything is white, grey, and black, just as the government likes it.

A wave of anger washed through me, and I glared at the floor as I waited for my mother. The questions just keep coming and I can't stop them. Why can't something be different? Why can't there be a red chair, and blue walls, and green floors? Is everything matched to perfectly for a reason?

Yes.

That's a silly question to even ask myself. I've always know the answer-- I'm not an idiot like most people here. The government wants us to be one, a unity. How can we be a unity when everything, or everyone, is different? How can we be one if someone else has more than the other?

I understand how the government thinks, thanks to my dad. They want us to all be the same, and all like the same things, and all follow them without question. But that doesn't mean I have to agree with them.

The anger becomes stronger inside of me and I kick the ground with my shoe, but it isn't enough. I need to make a change to this world of sameness. Judging the looks on those doctor's faces a few minutes ago, I know what my blood work resulted in.

I am like them.

And that means I know my fate. To be sent out to the country, far away from my family and friends. Far away from civilization. And I'll have to work for these people, the government. They'll treat me like a slave and I'll be ready for them.

I'll be ready.

Before I can stop myself, my hand lashed out at the white blinds behind me and they come off the wall with a loud clatter.

Holy crap, what have I done?

The door in front of me opens and I snap my head around to see one of the white coated doctors step outside the office. As I examine his face, it first goes from a pale white, to a rose red. His eyebrows seem to go up at the sight, but I can't be sure.

And my anger is gone. I've done it. I've made something different about this hallway, kind of like marking or a signature. And now the doctors know that I won't have it. I won't take the torture they'll put me through.

"Katelyn Rays, I believe you should come into the office now."

I know it's short, but I really like how it is and would prefer not to add anymore.
If the world was blind, how many people would you impress?

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:44 am
View Likes
queenofscience says...

Hi!

Wow, mutants, so cool Is it a genetic sort of mutant or superpowers, or what?

When writeing, it's helpfull to makes notes in your text. Could be a idea, note, or anything to remind yourselve of somthing. It also may be usefull to make chapter/plot outlines. That way you can have a guide as to where you want to go with your story. Also, think about your characters and plot. What do you want them to do? How do they achive their goal. Think of writing like A and and B. Think cause and effect.

You write well. And you said that she was a mutant.....but you didn't answer it.....and that's good. Leave litle things like that. Make your reader cauious. MAKE THEM WANT TO READ MORE!! ADD HINTS ETC LITTLE BY LITTLE.

Depends on your plot, but you can go with..

1. Have the next chapter be about her in the doctors office. This is the most logical, in my opinion.

2. Maby cut back to a different chararct. How does 'being a mutant' effect them? Maby talk a bit about the history of mutants a bit.

3. Maby cut to her leaving for the goverment job.

Hope I helped. :)
I am the science and science fiction guru.

The mind is beautiful, yet brilliant. You can think, create, and imagine so many things.

Eugenics= scientific racism.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:58 am
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

When determining what to happen next, ask two questions:

1- What is the next logical progression of the plot?

2- What is the coolest thing you can think of to be the next scene?

Question one gets you thinking about what you should be doing next, and the logical repercussions of your characters' actions. You want to think about what should happen next, and have multiple options, to practice plot creation.

Question two gets you interested in writing what happens next because it's this awesome cool thing that gets you putting pen to paper.

Option 2, however, is not to write in a linear sequence and write whatever scene you're interested in next!

Non-linear plot writing is a fairly common technique that basically has you jump around to all of the parts you want to write first, and figure out how to connect them later. It can help you define what's next, because when you have an end point you can better figure out how to get there.

Personally, I plot the beginning, then the end, and kind of string along key scenes I want to include in the middle but I write in a linear fashion. So I'll have A, and B, and G, and L, and Z plotted, but I'll write starting at A and ending at Z. I don't do well jumping around (tried that, got frustrated because I rely on previous scenes to set up later scenes too much, so I have to write linearly otherwise I end up rewriting everything to continue), but I do have plot points I really want to include in the middle to act as a sort of carrot to the stick.

Hope that helps you figure out what to do!
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

What's the point of being a grown-up if you can't be a bit childish sometimes?
— 4th Doctor