Young Writers Society

Magic system idea for Odyssey of Strife

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:22 pm
View Likes
Zolen says...

Prepare for a ramble:

In my story Odyssey of Strife: Ch 1, Heroic Squealing I developed a magic system I call soul weaving.

The life forms of that world are born simultaneously in two states of existence (not just humans, every wild animal, every fish, every insect, even blades of grass ), one is a reality much like earth. The rules of nature, science, biology, and everything else work just like our own world. Yet the second existence, their 'soul' exist in a unstable plane between many different reality's, where the rules and structures of nature are unstable and chaotic.

The moment any life form is born, this second body, resembling a spark, their 'soul' starts gathering strands of energy and rules upon its spark of awareness, slowly forming a body out of the many different conflicting rules, weaving a pattern based on the natural inclinations of that life form. Should they be left uneducated about it, their second body, their 'soul', will slowly develop until it resembles the main body. Then nothing will really happen. Once they die their soul will be pulled into the main world, where the conflicting rules will tear their soul apart.

But if they are educated, or at least very talented, the process will start to become more intentional, more planned, and eventually become useful. They will start to devise a special set of rules based on their own perception of reality. A state of being that ignores the natural rules of their main bodies plane.

Which is called a Domain. The weave rules that they can activate on their bodies, based on their interpretations of reality, these rules they impose can make them faster, smarter, stronger, or even able to shoot lightning from their hands should they have the right leanings. The more rules they impose the more powerful and useful their domain becomes until they weave a full body of rules for their soul.

From here they have to intentionally die if they want to become stronger. Their body can only do so much, while it may seem stronger than a natural born body, its only showing that when imposing their domain on themselves. They can't really express their rules on the main plane outside of their body, so there is a limit to how far they can take things. However, they have a second body, one that through their efforts has slowly been built out of the rules they use.

Once their main body dies, their second body, their soul, will be pulled into the main plane, too weak, and it will fall apart and their soul will be destroyed. Slightly strong, say they worked for a while yet didn't get very far, their soul will exist on the main plane long enough for their main body to reform. Then it will return to the second plane, damaged by its stay, but still 'alive'. Then the revived person may have to un-weave their soul and re-do everything if their weaved pattern was damaged too much.

If their soul is strong enough, as strong as its possible to get in that secondary plane, then once their main body dies, the soul will be be re-enforced by the conflicting rules of the main world, reforging itself a body made out of its own personal rules where it exist almost like its own personal reality. Taking strands of the main realities rules in order to become even more powerful and learn how to better impose its domain on that reality.

At that point the newly reforged person becomes un-aging, able to become more powerful by studying the world around them and learning how to harmonize and eliminate the conflicts between their personal rules, and the worlds rules. The more powerful they become the greater the range of their personal reality becomes.

A powerful reborn figure would be able to spread their personal reality out and create a true domain where they are pretty much god, able to smite people with what ever power their rules gave them. A person with personal rules about lightning for example would be able to fire bolts of lightning from anywhere they want at anyone they want within their range(say they have a domain 40 feet around, at any point around that 40 foot range, a lightning bolt could form, angled in any direction they want), and if their domain is more powerful then their target, they could even create lightning in that victims body.

As for how all of this works energy wise, as in what do they loose for using this domain of theirs. Quite simply, mental energy, they have to strain their minds in order to impose their domain of rules on reality. So the smarter you are, the longer you can use this ability.

I would like to know if anyone finds the magic system interesting, if it's unique or not from anyone elses perspective, or if this whole idea is just confusing and overly complicated.

Please and thank you.
Last edited by Zolen on Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Self quoting is the key to sounding wise and all knowing.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:02 pm
Mageheart says...

I think your magic system for this book is both interesting and unique! It is a little confusing to me at the moment, but I'm sure it would make more sense if I read it over one or two more times.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:07 pm
View Likes
Zolen says...

@Mage Could you tell me what's confusing you?
Self quoting is the key to sounding wise and all knowing.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:09 pm
Mageheart says...

Nothing in particular. I was just having trouble wrapping my head around the idea, but now that I've had a couple of minutes to think about it, it makes a lot more sense to me.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:55 am
deleted868 says...

This is really interesting. Kudos on coming up with an idea that seems really unique compared to a lot of fantasy novels I've read that are all really similar. I've always liked thinking about different parts of the soul and all that, and I really like the idea of the soul being separate from the main body. Well done and thought out Zolen!
Hey! I hope your day's been swell, and if not, there's always time for it to get better. See ya!

I send you buckets full of stars, the prettiest rainbow I've ever seen and a really adorable unicorn
— Zenith