My Book Idea

Random avatar

Reviews: 2
Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:04 pm
ChanstonKay says...

Hello, I am Chanston Kay and I just need a tip or too on my book idea

Intended age range: 12-15
Name:The Rift
Idea: The Rift is a different dimension and natural disasters in the normal world are caused by different creatures in the Rift, the story will start off with a 13 year old boy who lived through a massive hurricane. The idea is that Jay (the boy) will get stuck in the Rift and will be found by Bane (15 year old boy).Who will explain where he is and what happened too him and where he is.
This is just my starting idea please give me some tips and tell me whether or not you would read this book.

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:12 am
View Likes
maisewriting says...

Ooh! Cool idea! I love the concept of natural disasters being caused by an external force!
I'd like to see how you expand on this? You've got enough for a few chapters but there doesn't seem to be much of a conflict, unless the plot is about Jay trying to get out of the Rift. Perhaps you could have something like Jay and Bane trying to stop an incredibly devastating potential disaster from inside the Rift? I don't know, it's your story after all!
One thing I'd like to add is that there should be more characters, like a whole lot of kids/teens who got stuck in the Rift, which could add more tension.
Sounds like a great idea! I'd love to read it when you start it!

475 Reviews

Reviews: 475
Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:13 pm
Apricity says...

hey ChanstonKay, I'll offer my twopence here. I really like this idea, it's an interesting concept and it could play out really well. The main questions I have is have you thought about the correlation between the creatures and the natural disasters. Why are they caused by these creatures, is The Rift tied to our world in anyway? Given that Jay managed to get stuck in the Rift I'm guessing that there is a limbo like place in between these two dimensions, if so you'll have to figure out exactly how one would be able to transgress between these two.

@maisewriting, has also mentioned so really good points. Conflicts and characters are something you should consider, why was Jay transported to that world in the first place, how can he get back etc.

In a book like these, the usual convention is alternating between events in our world and say the Rift and how the two relate to each other. But if you're going to write the entire book situated in just the Rift, than you'll have to make sure you develop the Rift enough so that it can support the storyline.

Other than these, it sounds like a really cool idea! More questions will inevitably pop up as you write though, planning is all good but putting your thoughts to paper is just as important.

If you've got any questions or want to discuss this further, feel free to reply to this or send me a PM. My inbox is always open. :)
Previously Flite

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.' ― Friedrich Nietzsche

~Open for business~

264 Reviews

Reviews: 264
Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:22 pm
Megrim says...

You have a great set-up, and now you just need an idea of where to take things. Like the above posters mentioned: conflict!

Basically, you have the starting point, the inciting incident. Now what? Try answering these questions and see if it sparks some ideas:

What does Jay want out of life *before* he gets stuck in the Rift?
What obstacles are stopping him from achieving those things?
What does he want *after* he gets stuck in the Rift?

What does Bane want?
What gets in *his* way?

What about being stuck in the Rift is a problem or a danger?
What are Jay's failings/flaws that will make it difficult to deal with those problems?
What are Bane's blind spots when it comes to befriending Jay and overcoming the difficulties in the Rift?

There’s always a story. It’s all stories, really. The sun coming up every day is a story. Everything’s got a story in it. Change the story, change the world.
— Terry Pratchett