Young Writers Society

writing things that make zero sense

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:46 am
View Likes
maisewriting says...

Hey everyone!
I'm currently 35,000 words into a novel and I've come to recognise a few recurring patterns in my writing.
One of them is that I always seem to write a chapter, then realise that in the greater sense of the story, it makes zero sense. For example, I'll write about a thousand words about how a character acts terribly disrespectfully because he's gone and gotten himself completely drunk, and then I have to go back and delete it all becuase there is nowhere this character could have gotten alcohol.
Anyone else do this?

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:18 am
Kale says...

Yup.

Fortunately the revision and rewriting processes exist, so it's not a big deal in the long run. I usually just go with it for the first draft and worry about everything making sense during the second.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

475 Reviews

Reviews: 475
Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:20 am
Apricity says...

Hey maise! Welcome to YWS!

Haha, I think quite a lot of writers do that, me included especially when I'm working on a large project. Back when I did my Nano (never finished, got around up to 45K) I'd often find myself questioning if I've mentioned this already in a previous chapter, and sometimes when I reread I'd question the particular situation the characters have landed in because, it just doesn't make sense.

So, it does happen and it happens quite frequently when you're working on a novel purely because it's a huge task and even if you have it planned out. As Kyll have pointed out, that's what first drafts are for and sometimes, it's not bad to have these things. Editing and finecombing comes much later, after you've gotten everything down.
Previously Flite

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.' ― Friedrich Nietzsche

~Open for business~

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:54 am
Rosendorn says...

Writing things that make no sense is fun!

Seriously, I have sometimes left the nonsense parts alone as I keep writing and decided to include the things somewhere, which ends up absolutely awesome cause usually the reason things don't make sense is how your brain just goes "let's cram in everything that sounds entertaining" and leaving some of that in just brings a sense of passion to the work.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity.
— Charles Mingus