z

Young Writers Society

Don't want people to think the wrong this about my story

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:24 pm
queenofscience says...

Hi, guys. So, i'm going to be writing a story that I fell relly passionit about. In my story, i'm going to have an 14-15 year old Avyal girl (a humiod bird/human speices) who gets enlarged (33ft) by her doctor ( their are two reasons to this) who also works for World Helth Orginization. My main character has a digestive systume disorder ( made up disorder). Her doctor, wants to study the mutated bacteria that in my character, Phe's colon that is creating (as a cellular waste,by-product ) 'toxic gas' (it smells sweet.....yes, bacteria can emit waste that can smell sweet...). Said 'poisonas gas' will kill you.

So, my doctor, who is the villen, is reveled to be a neo-Nazi. She has plans to 'cull' the 'disabled and chronicaly ill. She does this because 'it's for the benifit for socity' . She feels that they too sick to work/exepensive to care for etc. (Yes, I have mutipul disabilites and I think it's horribal that people have tried to do that.). My doctor, who is female, has zero ties with anything German. She's American and her bloodline is Italian. So, yes, my story deals with some WW2 idealolgies.

My main character, Phe, and her mother and father are originaly from Austria. They moved to the states (Houston, TX) when Phe was 10. (My story takes place in the 80's). I protray my chracters as 'just ordinary 'good people' Phe/her mother/other characters are Christian. Phe's father, who is of African decent, is Jewish (religon).

Soooo, i'm a bit conserened....Because my story deals with some WW2 idealoligest and because Phe is my main character and because she's Austrian (she has a german accent)...I am worried about my readers and what they 'may' think. I don't people to read this and think' because Phe is german and because she is 'good', then this author is 'mentaly okay' with the the Nazi's did ect..... ( I am NOT okay with hat they did.)

I REALLY don't want people to think this. I am protraying all of my characters 'as people' And I REALLY feel compelled to write this story. My story is going to be so wonderfull and beatifulll. I want to show that 'we are all just people, and that things like race/religon ect don't matter 'in a sense'. Hate is thought.

Phe is a very sweet girl. She's very kind/helpfull. Intellagent. Polite. Funny. She dosn't belive in useing vilonce. She pefers to 'talk things out'. She gets upset when bad things happen (she cries).She applogies profusly. Believes that eveyone deserves basic respect and kindness. (Yes, even my villen). She's a very happy girl (but she has medical chalanges/wanting to be a normal teenage girl/self harms out of fusteration with her illnes/being cooped up so to say.) (Her parents obviously raised her right.)

Also, I feel bad for her because she's had so much 'medical abuse'. So many doctors/nurses have 'made fun of Phe in some way. NO ONE should be made fun of for any reason, exspeicaly if they are ill.

Oh, and I 'just decided to make Phe Austrian'.
I am the science and science fiction guru.

The mind is beautiful, yet brilliant. You can think, create, and imagine so many things.

Eugenics= scientific racism.

46 Reviews

Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:30 pm
queenofscience says...

I'm going to have a scene where Phe/other disabled teenage characters learn about WW2/'The Holocause'. Phe and my other characters get upset and have nightermears. 'In my world childrean are not taught about the war because people 'want kids to keep their innocent etc'

The mind is beautiful, yet brilliant. You can think, create, and imagine so many things.

46 Reviews

Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:07 pm
queenofscience says...

So, I was thinking that Phe's father wears a tiney, copper, star of David pin 'because he's proud to be Jewish, and that's that.' Should I be concerened because of talking about WW2. I was also thinking that Phe's mom wears a cross pin on what she's wearing.

Also, the mother to my other two main teenage characters (both sisters who are disabled) is Jewish. Their mother, Terry, is Jewish, religon wise. She is almost compleatly blind. She is kind, very intellagent, 'thinks like a scientist/doctor/is knowlagable about medical things'. She enjoys baking (her daughers assist her in the kitichen) and planting fruits/vetables. She has a 'small chemistry lab' think 'food science lab' in the attic. She uses to come up with speical food for Phe. The food helps Phe's symptoms, but does not cure her illness. (She uses lab when she's not working at WHO.)

Soooo....ummm....will people have issues with because of the fact that she's Jewish and she's taking care of a girl with germatic heratige? I just don't want my readers to hate me, ect. I am protraying everyone 'as people'.

46 Reviews

Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:40 am
queenofscience says...

So, yes. I feel 'emotinaly attached to this story". I want to show that people are people, and that we can/should get along and love one eachother/be respectful/ be kind etc But we all know that that dosn't happen. And i'm going to write about awesome characters who are disabled/chronicaly ill. And they will be awesome. And they have speical abilites,too.

I'm emotinal about this story because I myself am disabled. I have mutipul disabilites (vision loss,deppresson, anixty,schizophrinia and my voical cords have issues. I have to strain to talk at times/my lungs are weak. I have to struggel to talk at times....) And I have to fight in so many ways.

And my disabled characters fight in a sense. They live/deal with their disabilites.

And it's upseting to think that, historicaly, people have tried to cull the disabled. It's upseting to think that human being MASACURE each other. We need to get along! (Many of my ansestors died during the war if you you know what I mean....)

My heart beaks with compassion, and kindness and love....and my characters will be awesome.

And I feel so sorry for Phe. Phe is such a wonderfull character....and she gets 'bullied' by her own doctor etc, becsuse she has digestive helth issuess. NO ONE should should be made fun of ir put down for any reason...especaly due to an illness.

Sorry for being emotional.

I don't want anyone to laugh at Phe's illness. She also has 'sinistive stomach' symptoms. I will be writing about her illness in a 'matter of fact' way. And sure, I also want to show that illness/disabiltie is not pretty. But I will do it in a apporiate way. Yeah, sure, I laugh at 'toilet humor' but seriously, their are people who have emberrising medical probleams. I hope that people don't think that i'm write this to be gross, because i'm not writeing it to 'be gross'

Phe's illness symptoms: pojectial vomiting/flatus (both are explosive due to spincter milfunicton) dirrerea/fecial incontince. Very imited diet/needs feeding tube. Has difficulty puting on weight. And yes, I know how im going to 'help my character medicaly' throughout story.

46 Reviews

Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:07 pm
queenofscience says...

Will someone check out my forum, please. Thanks.

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:27 pm
CarryOnMrCaulfield says...

For future reference, there is an edit option so you do not have to keep making new posts. Double posting, let alone triple+ posting, is generally frowned upon unless a bump happens to be justified.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:35 pm
View Likes
Vervain says...

@CarryOnMrCaulfield, double-posting is fine and is not moderated unless it borders on spam. This does not.

@queenofscience, I like your story idea! It sounds like you care a lot about your characters and how people will perceive them. I wouldn't worry about people thinking you agree with the Nazis just because your protagonist is Austrian or anything; more than anything, the writing is going to be the important thing.

As long as you show your readers that all of your characters are human, then they'll come to their own conclusions.

I'm very glad that you're intent on portraying disability well! Personally, I have a physical disability and a chronic illness, so it's great to see that people are working on being inclusive in their writing. It looks like you're doing a great job with your research so far, and I can't wait to see where this story goes!

Feel free to tag me if you ever post more about this story!
stay off the faerie paths

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:37 pm
CarryOnMrCaulfield says...

Lareine wrote:@CarryOnMrCaulfield, double-posting is fine and is not moderated unless it borders on spam. This does not.

@queenofscience, I like your story idea! It sounds like you care a lot about your characters and how people will perceive them. I wouldn't worry about people thinking you agree with the Nazis just because your protagonist is Austrian or anything; more than anything, the writing is going to be the important thing.

As long as you show your readers that all of your characters are human, then they'll come to their own conclusions.

I'm very glad that you're intent on portraying disability well! Personally, I have a physical disability and a chronic illness, so it's great to see that people are working on being inclusive in their writing. It looks like you're doing a great job with your research so far, and I can't wait to see where this story goes!

Feel free to tag me if you ever post more about this story!

Agreed in regards to the Nazi sympathizer. It is historical fiction, after all, and, for the most part, historical fiction should be realistic. A wealthy Austrian during the time period would generally at least tolerate the Nazis, so there's nothing wrong with accurate portrayals.

425 Reviews

Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:43 pm
View Likes
Vervain says...

@CarryOnMrCaulfield, I think you missed the point there. @queenofscience wasn't saying that her main character was a Nazi sympathizer, but that she was worried she (the author) would come across as one because of the parallel between her story and WWII. Especially since this takes place in the 1980s, and the villain is considered a neo-Nazi, I don't think that Phe is supposed to agree with the Nazis.

Queen, to answer another question, there aren't bad implications with a Jewish woman taking care of a girl of German descent. You've made it clear that Phe's father is Jewish, even though Phe is Christian, so it's not like she is even expected to fall in line with an anti-Semitic or anti-Jewish way of thinking.

Keep writing!
stay off the faerie paths

46 Reviews

Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:10 pm
queenofscience says...

Hi.

Thank you for your replies.

However, it boths me that someone would think of me/my character as a Nazi sympathetier. Thats if thats what you were meaning.

I don't support/nor am okay with what the Nazi's did. However, I understand that 'times have changed'. However, I don't 'hate' the German's because of this. It's like when I see someone who is Muslim. It dosn't bother me, dispite their being terrorist. They are just people. Most just go about their lives, like you and me. There are a few bad eggs in the good eggs. Hate is thought, remember that. We are not born to hate.

It boths me that you would say that about my character. I did made it clear about her and her personalty. She's a 'very normal bird-girl' dispite being ill. She's just a 'normal' teenage girl. She's kind and sweet and respectful. In my story, when she learns about the war, Phe gets very upset ( so do my other teenage characters) when they learn about what happened during the war. Phe is amazed/upset that 'the German people' would do this. Bare in mind that in my world, WW2 is not taugh to childrean in the world because they want childrean to 'keep their innocents' etc.

I hope you have a good day.

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:44 pm
View Likes
crossroads says...

Write the story!

I don't think, from what I read here, that you or your character come across as Nazi sympathisers. Through writing her story and developing her characters, you can show us exactly what kind of person she is, and I'm sure no one will doubt she's anti-Nazi once they get to know her :)

Also, setting the story in the 80s makes for quite a big gap from WWII -- and even if it didn't, and even if you didn't emphasise so much on the Jewish component, just having someone's nationality as Austrian or German isn't enough to make anyone make assumptions about their political affiliations. If a reader will consider someone a Nazi just because they have German or Austrian heritage, well... that's really that reader's problem.

So, worry not, and write the story, and I'm sure the characters will make it all clear for anyone who still has any doubts.
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

46 Reviews

Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:24 pm
queenofscience says...

Thank you so much! Great advise!

425 Reviews

Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:56 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Aye, I don't think anyone would consider Phe or you to be a Nazi sympathizer just because she has German / Austrian heritage. Nothing to really worry about :)

Just as a bit of background, Germany is actually one of Israel's strongest allies, and it's Israel's second largest trading partner. Germany even has the fastest growing Jewish population in the world because a lot of Jewish people are immigrating back to it. So, no need to worry!

46 Reviews

Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:18 pm
queenofscience says...

Sooooo, I'm sure that I have an idea for book 1 plot that will lead to book 2....just hear me out. I was thinkings about how she gains supporters for book 2. So, my original plot idea was tweaked. Originaly, she (Dr. Mann) was going to kidnap some teenagers and try to brainwash them to support her....and I was thinking, some of that dosn't make sense. (Some of book 1 plot) Anyways, some my characters who were suppost to be kidnaped show up in book 2. Yes, I have decided.

So, my villen, Dr. Mann, I was thinking, needs to gain support for creating an 'internment camp' for disabled/chronicaly ill young people. (Think Jappeniease internment camps during ww2. The conditions were 'fair' but they were NOT like the camps in Europe. So, compaired to Europe, they were nice.) A single camp is created in the desert. I'm imaging that she has supporters.

Sooo, Dr. Mann wants to enuthinse 'the disabled and chronicaly ill'. She needs supporters. I'm imaging that she goes to D.C. to do so. (A canaster filled with gas that she manufactored in a lab, from the mutated bacteria in Phe's colon.)

(Ok, this idea sounds cheesy. For the first time in my life, I have an idea that sounds cheesy.)

I was thinking that maby Dr. Mann enlarges herself with my PREFORM device and she threats to kill my young, female, disabled president (who is an awesome president btw) if she dosn't allow the senet ect to support my villen.

1. This idea sounds cheesy.

2. I probaly have no idea what i'm talking about as in, gaining supporters.

I need help with this, please.

( I was also hoping to 'keep it a surprisse' that Dr. Mann enlarges herself to compleat some tasks. (In a sense, saves money, wouldn't be endangering other's lives. She's much stronger ect) for when she goes to my main characters house and kidnaps them.)

Also, in my world, the disabled can get service dogs/equment that they need to help them (crutchs, wheelchairs etc), but that's it. They can get jobs, but it's difficult because of their medical issues/preceptions about the disabled/people not knowing how to accomadate. So, they get discrimminated aginst in the workforce. People are allowed to refuse service to a disabled indvidule.

Sooo, ideas. Anything? How can she gain supporters?

(I want to tag Lurine. She posted on the form. How do you do that?)
Last edited by queenofscience on Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

46 Reviews

Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:20 pm
queenofscience says...

Ok, I mean, how would she 'realisticaly' gain supporters.

That smells like the inside of a tropical rainforest.
— Yoshikrab's friend