z

Young Writers Society

"Don't work on a story too long"

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:13 am
Rosendorn says...

Interesting perspectives!

@StellaThomas oh my goodness that is Cat Steps xD Kerani was everything I wanted to be, and everything I felt I was. Looking back at old drafts is a little creepy because a lot of stuff I hadn't realized about myself kind of wormed its way into the plot and those deeply visceral experiences I had forgotten about until recently are some of the only plot constants.

In a sense I've grown apart from the story, but in another I've gotten even closer to it. I'm farther away from the character's situation, but it's also given me the harshness of hindsight to realize both how I felt then and how I feel now.

@Megrim I don't actually agree that you can explore something in that short a time. I've explored some topics for literal years, and it's taken me that long to actually get to the root of things.

Some of my favourite authors as those who have ideas for longer periods of time, regardless of how long they work on the story. Interestingly enough, Maggie Stiefvater said she lets ideas simmer for years before she finally gets the spark to write them.

Of course, I could really stand to read more so my reference pool is small, but part of me falls in love more with the passion of a long sustained drive to write a story than anything else.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say. I just watch what they do.
— Andrew Carnegie