No votes
Neither; I have another suggestion.
No votes

Total votes : 6

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:13 pm
BeTheChange says...

I have two ideas for the titles of my planned trilogy. Which set is better?
1. "Son", "Sisters", and "Traitor"--these reflect which character each book will focus on, but they seem a bit generic
2. "A Long-Forgotten Savior", "A Half-Remembered Dream", and "A Dark and Deadly World". I came up with these a while ago, and they're more unique, but I feel like they're misleading, especially the first one. I want the Christian themes to be subtle, not obvious like the title implies.

476 Reviews

Reviews: 476
Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:09 am
View Likes
Apricity says...

Hello, bookish. I haven't voted, just here to offer some of my opinions. Out of the two sets of titles, if I'm to be frank with them I'm not fond of neither but nor do I have any better suggestions (because god knows I suck at book titles myself). However, the first set appeals more to me than the second set, allow me to explain.

The first set, although generic has a certain minimalist appeal to it. What's more is that it can be interpreted in a number of ways, 'son', 'sister', 'Traitor' this could reflect your characters but it could also reflect their relationship. The traitor at the end, is an anomaly to the previous two words. Do they betray each other, or is it betrayal of another kind.

As for the second set, I'm not fond of it because they to me, seem like descriptions rather than titles. Save for 'A long-Forgotten Savior' which more or less still sounds like the start of a fairytale, or some kind of didactic story rather than a title. Like, 'Once upon a time, a long-forgotten saviour embarked on a ...'. Your second title more befits a poem, is your entire novel based around the idea that it's a half-remembered dream, are you talking about the blurring of certain boundaries of dreams and reality? I suspect not.
Your last title sounds too cliche, I'm sorry but 'A Dark and Deadly World' is a description that summarises a setting.

If anything, I suggest this. Have a working title, call it whatever you want. When you've got a large portion of the book down, reflect again and think of titles that would suit what you've written so far (or about to write). If you can't think of a working title and can't leave it with no title, call it 'Untitled'. Titles will inevitably change over the course of writing a book, of course sometimes it doesn't. But it does happen with most authors, as plots change, new characters are introduced and themes shift.

I'm unfortunately, not familiar with Christian themes so I can't help you in that area. :/ Hope I've helped a bit with this post, but if you've got any questions or want to discuss this further. My inbox is always open for you!
Previously Flite

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.' ― Friedrich Nietzsche

~Open for business~

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:11 am
Rosendorn says...

Unless you told me overtly that the first title was Christian based, I wouldn't have picked up on it. "Saviour" is a very generic concept that crops up everywhere.

"Longer" isn't necessarily "more unique"— the first title, "a long forgotten saviour" is two characters longer than the trope name Sealed Badass in a Can, which is basically "chosen one is put to sleep for awhile and forgotten about", which is what the title brings to mind. As Apricity pointed out, your final one describes a generic setting (the trope name is Crapsack World).

Titles like "Halfbad" or "The Raven Boys" are more unique because they describe something specific to the novel. Etiquette and Espionage is a longer title that is also fairly unique.

This article describes titles more in depth.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

I think the best thing about making it into the quote generator is when nobody tells you, so one day you're just scrolling and voila, some phenomenally inane thing that crawled out of your dying synapses and immediately regretted being born the second it made contact with the air has been archived for all time. Or worse, a remark of only average inanity. Never tell me when you've put me in the generator. Pride-tinged regret just doesn't taste the same without the spice of surprise.
— SirenCymbaline