z

Young Writers Society

Which One is the Best?

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:15 am
TheStormAroundMe says...

I have the same problem as dozens of other writers... too many ideas. I need to choose one project to continue and finish. They all will be written eventually.

1. Basecode - In a dystopian universe, the Government places a ban on blue-eyed children as a form of population control. When they remove the ban, they continue the control using a virus hidden within the recessive gene. Most blue-eyed children die at birth because of this. Some, though, survive. These children have the Genesis Switch flipped in their brains by the virus, and are unable to forget anything. A scientist wants to discover how to flip the Switch in the minds of commoners.

2. $7,000 - Brooklyn, a boy who is living in the inner city and taking care of his six siblings, is diagnosed with a rare form of cancer in his bones. The story follows the exploits of his siblings as they scramble to gather money for treatment and find a marrow donor.

3. See No Evil - A serial killer is picking off students on a college campus one by one according to a precise code. The police are clueless. Bryce, a student, and his roommate, Markel (a German exchange student), rush to riddle it out before they fit the bill and become the next victims.

4. Cape Elegie - On the planet of Cape Elegie, far past the Milky Way galaxy, a alien race exists that's roughly humanoid. Their language is heard like song, and therefore can only be roughly translated. Instead of eating food, they feed off of the exchange of memories. Unfortunately, this means nobody has a complete memory-- that is, except Daxz, an assumed murderer. The book follows the Carriers of different memories to make the story. When you watch each piece alone, Daxz seems evil. When you read the together, he's a good guy.

All you need do is comment which number you feel is the best and why. Thank you for your help!

-Grace
“La giraffa ha il cuore lontano dai pensieri. Si è innamorata ieri, e ancora non lo sa.” - Stefano Benni

TheStormAroundMe

472 Reviews

Reviews: 472
Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:13 pm
View Likes
Lightsong says...

I pick number to because it interests me the most. I do not know what kind of ways the siblings would take, the reason why they go to such lengths, and how the boy (I assume he's the eldest) reacts to their actions. It could also touch the laws/rules that are specialized to care for a family that has a dire financial problem. It can also skirt on the theme of cooperation and how the community utilizes it to help the brother.

So yeah, it has the potential to be an eye-opener and unpredictable, putting itself aside from other ideas.
"Writing, though, belongs first to the writer, and then to the reader, to the world.

The subject is a catalyst, a character, but our responsibility is, has to be, to the work."

- David L. Ulin

1081 Reviews

Reviews: 1081
Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:23 pm
View Likes
Virgil says...

I liked the second idea like SirLight did and I like the sort of freedom that you have with it, the plot being able to be more character-driven and we don't really see the connection and disconnection between siblings all that much in books, I don't think. I also liked the fourth idea, but that may be because I love the idea of memories and everything of that sort.

One of my favorite children's books actually follows memories and dreams, which is Gossamer by Lois Lowry, and I recommend that if you're going to do that idea.

I didn't think the other two had as much potential and I think you'd need a better outline to convince me of them being as good as the two that I liked, but for right now I like two and four since they have the most potential for you to make it something interesting but if you managed to pull others in as well with one and three I think that you could go for it. It really depends on what you want to do because you can't really compare them all due to being different genres.

Will Review For Food - Always taking review requests!

Discuss the last piece of media you consumed in Media Reviews!

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:00 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Might I suggest: all of them.

Rotating around projects and switching when you get bored is a great way to get everything down. Some people who have lots of ideas need that variety in projects to keep going, because boredom just happens. Neil Gaiman is actually one such writer— he's so prolific because he always has multiple projects on the go!

Sometimes, "stick with one till the end" is the worst thing you can do. If you want to write all of them, write all of them at once. Figure out how many stories you can carry at any given time (I can juggle three fiction pieces, one primary and two secondary), and just write what interests you.

In my experience, so long as you don't get caught endlessly rewriting the same stories and focus on completing drafts, it doesn't matter how many drafts you have going at once.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:21 pm
queenofscience says...

Hi. In my mind (and this is what a author friend of mine has said) " write wich one you love. Which one are you the most excited about! Which one do you keep thinking about?

Write what you love.
I am the science and science fiction guru.

The mind is beautiful, yet brilliant. You can think, create, and imagine so many things.

Eugenics= scientific racism.

There is a difference between being poor and being broke: broke is temporary; poor is eternal.
— Robert Kiyosaki