z

Young Writers Society

Historical Figures To Write About

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:29 pm
BeTheChange says...

I want to write a historical fiction series about various figures and their lives. I'm thinking of using Abigail Adams as the subject for the first one. Any other ideas or tips? Thanks. :D

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:44 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Your passion for the period > everything else.

Historical fiction is one of the single most research intensive genres out there, so you need something to sustain yourself. If you don't have an active desire to learn everything it takes to craft a realistic world— from meals to language to clothing to etiquette— then you'll burn out and get frustrated.

Find the compulsion to tell the story. Find the thing you want to explore above all else. Harness it and run with it. Fall in love with the period and the historical figure again and again, to withstand the times you can't stand looking at another thing about the period.

Know when to take breaks. Because sometimes you'll need one.

Good luck!
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

264 Reviews

Reviews: 264
Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:14 pm
View Likes
Megrim says...

I agree--write about the historical figures you find most interesting, and the periods you're most passionate about. Writing "about" them means you still need a story, so think about what's the story you want to tell? What's going to be happening, what will they be doing? Use that as a jumping off point.

48 Reviews

Reviews: 48

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19

Today I bent the truth to be kind, and I have no regret, for I am far surer of what is kind than I am of what is true.
— Robert Brault