z

Young Writers Society

ideas for a novella about native american myths

Reviews: 3
Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:36 pm
ewolf20 says...

thank goodness we came to an agreement but the idea is going to be put on the back burner until further notice. and for you,MissElaney , I may disagree with you in some parts whereas i can agree with few things that you pointed out. I might not take it to heart but I will keep it in mind.

Reviews: 0
Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:45 pm
MissElaney says...

Megrim, as promised -

I should have just straight up pointed out the root cause of why I took issue with the thread in the first place (the whole “before you even begin to touch this idea,...” etc). I will explain to you why I said “the only diversity you don’t seem to care about is intellectual diversity,” but do understand I have dropped my quarrel with you, it’s just to answer your question and my explanation is not meant in any disparaging way.

It used to be that among many writers who you could umbrella-term as diversity-centric, representation was about giving audiences characters that minorities can relate to on a personal level, and the research was about creating an immersive experience to create the environment in which the reader can relate to the character. There was no orthodoxy in representation, and that was a good thing. But that’s not what it is anymore. Now, writers and bloggers about writing enforce this ideological orthodoxy on the “right way” not to offend people.

In fact, I can recite some of the canon: "If you write a non-white villain character, make certain to offset this character with a morally neutral and/or good character of the same background to make sure nobody assumes that you think that this villain is evil because they're Black/Brown/whatever" is a good one. I digress.

It’s insane and even Orwellian to me that that advice that made me one of the first guest-mods on Writing With Color, advice which I wrote on that website and is probably still in its archives, is now “dangerous” advice.

It’s incredibly frustrating, and when I said what I said, I basically meant (at the time): “You seem to be one of those collectivist tumblr dolts who cares all about minorities until they disagree with you.”

ChildOfNowhere,
Instead of letting it pent up for about a year I will instead be more pro-active and forthright about what I see to be bullying on this website. Thanks.

299 Reviews

Reviews: 299
Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:01 am
TheSilverFox says...

This debate appears to have been largely settled and resolved among the participants in question, so there's not much I can say or do here. Or I simply lack the time to. However, I would like to point out to @MissElaney that, by all means, if you feel like there is bullying or disrespect on the site, please contact one of the moderators (the people with green/dark green/red names). We can discuss it appropriately, and see what course of action we might take. Contact people through PMs and foster conversations on what happened in the argument, what each groups' stances are, how each group has been misunderstanding each other, and try to find some kind of common ground/work with the people around you to build a consensus or simply agree to disagree. We welcome and promote that.

However, I am rather annoyed. This argument has degenerated into a lot of name-calling and incorrect, biased statements. We do not consider your advice "dangerous," but we have our own personal reasons for disagreeing with. I have my own reasons for disliking it. This site does not attempt to censor or throw aside your information; inevitably, it is up to the discretion of the person it is being directed towards. Please do not come to the assumption that the people you are arguing against are trying to institute a moral imperative, or imposing a singular solution, and that this is any kind of mad political correctness. They have made a great number of rational points, primarily among them the importance of doing proper research, which is not counter-intuitive to writing ideas or a rough draft. I should like to think that this society is far from pop culture or stereotypical behavior in that regard.

Basically, this debate got heated when it didn't have to. I do not think the people you were arguing against were in any way mean-spirited or bullies - they, and I agree with them to an extent - want to be to-the-point and clear when providing advice. This was an attempt to elaborate on the importance of one doing research themselves, and making sure their points are sound if they are attempting to pull from realistic concepts and cultures. It was a little harsh, but it never had any intentions of telling the individual in question to stop writing; they were trying to make this person think about their writing and the logic behind it. While I understand that this is liable to do nothing, I want to say that you need to consider what you are saying and what the other side is trying to say before you accuse the people of this site of being bullies or mean-spirited. Otherwise, I am not looking forward to continued fights and arguments that will break out into other such questions as these, or attempts to report the blunt people who disagree with you or provide blunt advice.

tl;dr: there is a line between bullying and being blunt, and I do not think it was crossed.
S'io credesse che mia risposta fosse
a persona che mai tornasse al mondo,
questa fiamma staria senza piu scosse.
Ma per ciò che giammai di questo fondo
non tornò vivo alcun, s'i' odo il vero,
senza tema d'infamia ti rispondo.

Inferno, Canto 27, l 61-66.

Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:32 am
ewolf20 says...

it did get heated quite quick.

Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:20 am
View Likes
ewolf20 says...

and oh my gosh guys, I figured it out.

in a land called Averonia, the orb that once held back the forces of the void finally breaks, destroying the seal that protected this land.with the realm under siege from the forces from beyond the void, a princess named selua summons of group of misfits to save their realm from being taken over.

i know it has nothing to do with native americans or anything but still kinda has the concept.

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:32 pm
View Likes
Kale says...

Well, I'm pretty late to the party, but it looks like you've finally figured out what it was about the story that you really wanted to write, @ewolf20, which is great. Knowing what made you fall in love with an idea enough to write a book about it is a good thing to know because writing stories and finishing them is a rough process that can easily kill your motivation to write.

Like, if you thought doing substantial research was too much in the idea bouncing/planning stage, the actual writing and editing are a lot more tedious.

So keep that knowledge about your story someplace you can refer to it when the tedium gets to be too much. Take note of what excites you about it. That's the heart of your story, your reason for writing it rather than literally any other thing, and so long as you can keep that heart pumping to the bitter end, you'll finish writing that story and make it the best it can be without (too much) regret.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:04 pm
ewolf20 says...

you sure was.

I send you buckets full of stars, the prettiest rainbow I've ever seen and a really adorable unicorn
— Zenith