z

Young Writers Society

NaNo Idea help?

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:10 am
ChiravianSkies says...

So, it's that time of the year again. I've put off picking an idea for Nano this long, so here I am with three different ones. They're all YA (I think?), so yeah.

1. Magelight/Stone Cold Hands: (Fantasy/Steampunk)

Spoiler! :
In Keptis, there is a group of covens that live underground. The inhabitants of these covens are ruled with an iron fist. One day, a young man named Regan decides he's had enough. Knowing the risk he's taking, he helps other people escape the covens by staging their murders. When he doesn't think anyone else wants to leave, he stages his own death and takes two last people. The problem? He did a rushed job on that last one. Now the covens know that he's been smuggling people out of the covens. They now have to send their best and brightest out to find Regan and those he's helped. Unfortunately for the covens, their best is the covens' 14-year-old heiress named Flyta and their brightest is her advisor, Shaller. (It's been worked on a bit since I was writing this on YWS)

2. Memory's Depths: (Supernatural with a bit of Crime)

Spoiler! :
Vanner is a Memory Diver, a man who can experience the deepest memory of anything he touches. To the world, he's a second-class citizen who deserves whatever slums he sleeps in. So in an act of private rebellion, he changes his name and leaves the slums.

3 years later, Vanner is a Private Eye. He's approached by a young woman named Julia Rand. She's the heiress to a growing tech company. Her parents, the founders of the company, were recently kidnapped. It's not on the news yet, so she wants Vanner to find out why, and where her parents are.

3. Hidden Human: (Apocalyptic)
Spoiler! :
The end of the world finally happened. Like the movies predicted, it was a zombie apocalypse. What they didn't predict was how the zombies actually acted. The infected start with intrusive thoughts. They're small, but violent and gory. Soon, they end up taking up a larger portion of a person's thoughts. Someone with great self control can still get by. It's when a person's body starts to reject any food that isn't raw meat that a person starts to lose themself.

Adrien Cook, a transgender boy, was at a birthday party when he was first exposed to the zombies. He managed to get away, terrified and confused, but unharmed. The friends he was with ran out to the mountains with him. A fight happens, and he's pushed off a cliff. Adrien lives, only to find a secret group of people trying to fight the disease. That's when the symptoms of the infection come in. When he starts rejecting food, he comes down to one dire choice: Kill the people around him while still acting healthy or die.

(Kinda on the fence of this one because of ableism. If there's any ideas about reworking that out of this, that'd be great!)

359 Reviews

Reviews: 359
Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:03 am
steampowered says...

I like number (1) the best as it seems to be a very unique idea with some fleshing out of the plot already done (I also might be biased because that's the sort of thing I'd read / write myself) but the final choice is obviously up to you. :)
Live well. Learn lots. Question everything.

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:14 am
Pinkratgirl says...

Number 1 sounds super cool!
"Once upon a time is the beginning of something better."
Tumblr: http://saltikitti.tumblr.com/
Archive of Our Own: http://archiveofourown.org/users/Saltikitti/pseuds/Saltikitti

Reviews: 0

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:07 pm
Tenyo says...

All of them.

The zombie apocalypse has happened, and driven people underground. People respond differently to the virus (and the side effects, including memory diving) and those who manage to resist it become Memory Divers. The MC learns to control it, adopts an alternative identity (possibly from someone who died and MC covered it up), and helps a secret group to smuggle out people like him whilst keeping up a pretense as a detective.

Until one day he is secretly hired to find the missing parents of the heiress to a growing tech company, a company that is hiding secrets and hunting upcoming-zombies. They do their own investigation into MC, discovers who MC really is, and MC gets added to their top priority list, a case list that is tackled by their secret/elite hunters, of which the heiress is one of them.

So when the case of this kid helping smuggle zombies is dropped on her desk she doesn't know that it's the original/underground identity of the detective she's hired.

Or something along those lines.
We were born to be amazing.

All truly wise thoughts have been thought already thousands of times; but to make them truly ours, we must think them over again honestly, till they take root in our personal experience.
— Johann Wolfgang von Goethe