z

Young Writers Society

Time Travel

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:28 am
TheVibe says...

HI! I am working on a Time Travel graphic novel and i would love some help coming up with a few ideas. What interests you about time travel? What would you want to see in a time travel comic book? And more specifically, if you had the power to stop time, what would you do with it?

Thanks in advance,

M

264 Reviews

Reviews: 264
Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:16 am
View Likes
Megrim says...

Hi Vibe! Sounds like fun. The most interesting thing to me with time travel is when everything ties together, like predestination paradoxes and things like that--especially when you don't see something coming, then realize the characters have come full circle, or something like that. The power to stop time could probably be used in situations a lot like The Flash and Quicksilver, who are able to go so fast everything slows way down for them. Dodging, manipulating things, carrying people and objects places, all that kind of stuff.

The main reason I wanted to comment, however, was to suggest you dig deeper into what the story YOU want to tell is. At one point, I was really determined to write a time travel novel, and long story short, I realized all the gimmicks in the world aren't going to carry a story without proper character, setting, and plot. If this is taking place in a fictional world, you can do all sorts of worldbuilding to provide motives for things that people would want to change, or how time travel intersects with regular life/history. And most importantly, you should think about your characters, what they want and what obstacles stand in their way. At the end of the day, the story's going to be about them and their choices.

1081 Reviews

Reviews: 1081
Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:02 pm
View Likes
Virgil says...

Following up what Megrim said with the actual story, I have a few comments to carry it on. What type of story are you trying to tell with time travel, what's the tone of it? Is it a social commentary where it talks about the loop holes time travel could create, or a more action based story where in the world time travel is possibly illegal and it's easy to get caught if you don't cover your tracks or signs of what you do? Decide on that. Can everybody time travel? Can only special people time travel, only the main character? You have to decide on that as well. Who can and who can't, and if so, do people abuse this power? If it's everyone, is there people from different times and is there so many people doing it that the way that we live today and the alternate world completely different? Do historians know everything about history now that they can go back and see, or is it interrupted and added with a whole new layer to take into account that there are time travelers?

There are a lot of different things that you can do with this, and you should narrow it down into something more specific in what you want to do, and having the main character's motives relating to time or time travel would definitely help the plot. It shouldn't just be based on the concept, rather the story that you're trying to tell with the characters. But those characters are living in the world with that concept, so how do they choose to live, is the story.

Will Review For Food - Always taking review requests!

Discuss the last piece of media you consumed in Media Reviews!

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:01 pm
View Likes
Tenyo says...

Ooh, time travel!

What interests me?
Regulation. Time travel is so dangerous, and there is a whole medley of issues, particularly in things like transference of technology or involuntary time travel. How do you stop people from destroying the world? Also, whether there is a way to detect time travel or the possibility that time is being overwritten at any one moment.

What would I want to see in a comic book?
Interesting characters, primarily. Anybody can sit and daydream about what they would do with time travel, it's interesting to see what someone else would do.

If I could stop time...
Longer lunch breaks would be a regular thing. I wouldn't mind hitting a time-stop watch instead of the snooze button in the morning. I'd probably do homework during stop-time so I could spend more time with friends and family.
A really cool thing if the expertise were available would be using time-stops for emergency rescue, heart operations, that kind of thing.
We were born to be amazing.

Carpe Diem
— Catullus