z

Young Writers Society

Editing

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:40 am
Angrynoodles says...

Is anyone here an editor, and/or is willing to edit work to a professional level? Note, I 'aint talking a school essay, I mean a 90k word manuscript. Further details will be provided.

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:29 am
View Likes
Lumi says...

Novels are regularly reviewed on YWS through the Publishing Center. It's typically courteous to post 1/2 to one chapter at a time depending on the length, but the size will determine how quickly you get reviews, how thorough they are, etc.

You can request specific reviewers by visiting the Will Review For Food forum. Please make note of the rules there as infractions tend to burn out reviewers, and we try to avoid that!

But if you're looking for dedicated beta readers and professional editors, you may wish to provide a proper query. Note that YWS is not a place for monetary or labor solicitation, but more hobbyist writing and communal growth.

All the same, my best suggestion is the publishing center. Your work will be open to critique for all of YWS, and you may request reviews (within reason) from here into eternity.
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

472 Reviews

Reviews: 472
Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:20 am
Lightsong says...

Also, don't be shy to ask through Private Message (PM), or chat box the reviewers who do not have their own review threads. I advise you choosing those who are active and welcome review requests (take note of people who are after their next review star).
"Writing, though, belongs first to the writer, and then to the reader, to the world.

The subject is a catalyst, a character, but our responsibility is, has to be, to the work."

- David L. Ulin

264 Reviews

Reviews: 264
Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:37 pm
View Likes
Megrim says...

Sounds like you might want beta readers. They're the people who read your whole MS and critique it, generally the next step up from chapter-by-chapter feedback. You could post a pitch with a teaser, genre, wordcount, and see if anyone's interested. You can also look around the internet for other writing sites that have beta reader hook-up services/communities.

As for professional editing services, like you literally want to hire an editor, those tend to run at a minimum of several hundred dollars. I believe it's common for them to charge per word? My self-published friend spent around $500 for hers, I think, and that was a cheaper one. There are different type of editors, such as developmental editors, copyeditors, and others. Copyeditors just check for proofing--repeated words, typos, etc, and they won't comment on the plot or characters. If you're planning to self-publish, you need more than just that.

Some people consider hiring an editor before querying agents, just so their MS is the best it can be. I neither encourage nor discourage this. I think some who've tried it have had good experiences in that they learned tons, and it was more beneficial to their skills as a writer than to the specific MS. There is sort of a question of, are you misrepresenting yourself, if they accept you thinking this is your usual quality of writing. Kind of a topic of debate, but my thoughts are, if you're willing to put in the investment, you could learn a lot and get a more polished MS at the same time. (Bear in mind most agents will do some editorial work with you, and then the publisher will provide an editor if you get a contract with them)

I don't believe there are any professional editors on YWS. There are a few on other writing communities I'm a part of, but they're not there for advertising/business so much as to just be a part of the community. I'd recommend looking into professional editors, and make sure you thoroughly check out their qualifications. I believe it's not uncommon for them to edit some sample chapters (for free) for you to decide if you like their style/vision.

If what you're looking for is something more informal, then beta readers is definitely what you want.

If a nation loses its storytellers, it loses its childhood.
— Peter Handke