z

Young Writers Society

Three kids and a witch (character names)

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:34 pm
Cole says...

So I have made significant headway into another novel-length writing project, but I keep needing to revise the names of the main characters. I've done it so many times that I want to break my head open on my desk.

Premise: during the summer, two sisters and their cousin return to the girls' childhood town of Congress to sift through the ruins of their home, which was destroyed two years prior in a blaze that left them orphaned. As they attempt to reroot themselves in the town, creepy occurrences begin to bubble up, and they all seem to center around an old, strange neighbor. The trio learns that the neighbor is a real witch and she has been preying on the youngest sister ever since she was born.

Now, despite the magical, fantasy content, the story's main focus is the relationship between the two sisters, and how their bond sustains them, even in death.

MAIN CHARACTERS

Eldest Sister, Lorna Alexandra Saily:

Seventeen years old, average height, skinny, long straight brown hair, glasses, blue eyes. She's incredibly loving, nurturing, and selfless, and feels a great deal of responsibility to care for her sister since the death of their parents. She can be overly protective and cruelly conservative with her sister, though.

Youngest Sister, Celia June Saily:

Fifteen years old, short, willowy, shoulder-length red hair, blue eyes, her left leg is a wooden prosthesis. She is endearing, light-hearted, and mystical. She loves music, loves to laugh, and is drawn to beautiful, natural things like feathers, gemstones, crystals, and shells. She can be impulsive and immature.

Cousin, Malcolm:

Eighteen years old, tall, lean, stubbled chin, medium-length dishwater blond hair, green eyes. He is fiercely loyal, intelligent, and well-read, but can be calloused and cynical. He relies on his family to be positive and hopeful. He loves poetry.

The Witch, Helsa Plimmswood:

She starts out as a crone, withered, thin, wrinkled, and wretched, but becomes younger throughout the story as she grows in power. At her most youthful, she has long, silvery blonde hair and dark eyes. She is very beautiful. She is strange, mysterious, and cold when she's trying to go unnoticed, but if her real nature is known, she is vicious and crazed. She is followed by flocks of crows and black toads.

-

FIRST PROBLEM: I love Saily for the sisters, but I'm afraid Celia Saily is too rhymey. Thoughts? Suggestions? I want something with a Y ending like that. I also thought of Flory, like Lorna Flory and Celia Flory, but I don't like it as much.

SECOND PROBLEM: Malcolm's surname. I have no idea what to use. I don't like anything.

THIRD PROBLEM: The witch's name. I was using Helsa Plimmswood for a while, but she is often called "Ms. Plimmswood" and that just doesn't sound as intimidating as I would like. If you have any ideas of what to call this lady, please tell me.

Thanks.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:10 pm
Rosendorn says...

Any rough idea on the ethnicities of everyone? Blond hair and green eyes are found around the world in hundreds of communities (including Australian Aboriginals, the Middle East, Africa, etc), and surnames are some pretty telling ethnic markers.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

We all share half a braincell that bounces like a windows screensaver
— WeepingWisteria