z

Young Writers Society

Emilie Butter (polls, questions and talk)

The cat is a female english shorthair with white and gray fur.

Poll ended at Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:31 pm

Amethyst
8%
Avalon
16%
Duchess
24%
Effie
12%
Ebony
4%
Lady
16%
Saffron
4%
Miss Sockington
16%

Total votes : 25

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:22 pm
View Likes
Charm says...

Hey! So I wanted to create a thread where I can put polls and just ask questions for specifically my new novel, Emilie Butter. I haven't published anything yet but I am working on it. Go ahead and subscribe to this thread if you want to get a notification every time I publish a question or poll. I run one poll for a week and then I either have no poll up or a different one.

~Alice

I'm running a poll right now:
I need help choosing a name for the family cat. The cat is a female english shorthair with white and gray fur.
Last edited by Charm on Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:03 pm
Mageheart says...

I know this seems like a really random question, but how would you describe her personality?
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

277 Reviews

Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:26 pm
View Likes
Charm says...

@Mage the cats personality? Hmm she's like a normal cat I guess. She's not super needy or like princess-y. She likes most people and hunts rats/mice. Does that help?

update:
the cat gets a lot of attention and gets pampered a lot by Lucy and is treated like a princess but doesn't really mind and doesn't act like a super needy princess cat.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:29 pm
Mageheart says...

Okay!
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

277 Reviews

Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:52 am
View Likes
Charm says...

List of Characters so far:

Emilie Butter
Edward Butter
Ruth Butter
Lucy Butter
Dolly Butter
Kate Peers
Simon Geldart
Dorothy Child
Harriet (Hetty) Marley
Arlo Wray
Juniper Robe
Oscar Clamp
Thomas Clamp
Doctor Leitch
Professor Pembroke
Last edited by Charm on Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

277 Reviews

Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:56 am
View Likes
Charm says...

Synopsis

In 1862, the Child family was struck with a horrible tragedy. Mr. and Mrs. Child were murdered and Lucy Child went missing, leaving their eldest daughter Dorothy alone in dark Victorian England. Dorothy or Dottie as most call her, suffers from horrible vivid nightmares. Soon she realizes that deep down in her brain, she knows who killed her family and took Lucy. So she leaves for a daring adventure inside her very own mind to uncover the truth about the Child tragedy.

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:55 pm
View Likes
Tenyo says...

Hey AliceAfternoon!

I know, you posted a poll, and I should vote on a poll, but I can't bring myself to do it.

Naming your character is a big deal. The name itself doesn't matter; if your character is strong enough, they'll own any name you give them. You may even decide to change it later. The big deal is that you name them.

In a lot of cases names give a hint to a characters background, and especially given that this cat is a family pet, it should reflect the family. If the cat was a gift to the children it will probably have a very childish name. If it's heavily doted on it will more likely have a cheesy name. If it's a working cat then it will have something more bland.

Hopefully that means something. However, you did ask for answers to a poll and I find it unhelpful when I say 'how do I do this' and someone says 'don't', so I'll answer it now =p

Amythyst is purple, Ebony is a very dark wood and used as a synonym to black, and Saffron is renown for its rich red colour, and since your cat is white and grey, I'd probably eliminate those three.

Duchess and Lady both imply something very princessy and pampered, which I think would suit Lucy's character. Miss Sockington is similar but also kind of funny. I'd vote for one of these just because they seem to better suit the story.
We were born to be amazing.

277 Reviews

Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:33 am
View Likes
Charm says...

I'm changing a few things up but the main idea of the story is the same. The main character's name is now Emilie Butter, which was a name already in the book but I found I liked it more that the name Dorothy Child. Also other things I changed are plot secrets so xD I'm going to change the title to Emilie Butter for now

There has never been a sadness not cured by breakfast food.
— Ron, Parks & Rec