z

Young Writers Society

Titles and Significance

Reviews: 1
Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:17 am
OmegaEmerson says...

Okay, so I've been bothered by some questions

A.) Which is a better title, Calculated Risk or Reality Break
B.) Does the title have a built in draw? Does a bad title scare away readers, or does the book speak for itself?
C.) If I do a series, should it be something like Calculated Risk/Reality Break: [Sequel Title] or should it be [Sequel Title] Calculated Risk/Reality Break book 2

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:14 am
Rosendorn says...

A- Depends on what you want to get across. Calculated Risk is more sci fi for me (and fairly boring), while Reality Break feels more fantasy.

B- Titles are the first thing that agents and readers see. The book cannot speak for itself without a title. If there isn't an interesting title, then why would I bother reading? We have a thread on title feedback for a reason.

C- Depends on what you want. If you're doing an open ended series, something like "A [first, most well known] book" would be better. However, I think "[title name]: [sequel]" titles have lost their allure thanks to movies. But that's just my two cents.

Opinion on both titles: they feel too generic for me to pick up. Reality break is slightly better, but I'd have to be in a really good mood
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Please immediately cease and desist from offering Bob any more coffees with peppermint sprinkles. Thank you.
— SilverNight