z

Young Writers Society

Heart of Darkness

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Sat May 28, 2016 5:34 am
UntamedHeart173 says...

Hey guys!

So I haven't been on in a week because I've been outlining a new story that I'm titling Heart of Darkness. It's a kind of Beauty and the Beast rendition except, instead only one of them being cursed...both of them are dealing with a curse. It's also an LGBT fiction for New Adults because there really isn't enough of that out there. (Also, I love writing same sex couples for some reason. Don't have any idea why.) It's a brilliant idea and I'm proud of myself because it's the first one I've worked on by myself for the first time in a long time. The blurb I have so far is this:

"High atop a hill sits the Du Mont Estate, a regal palace rumored to be the home of a dangerous beast. For Quinn Bothwell, Du Mont Estate held the answers to a curse his family had endured for three centuries. Each Bothwell boy who couldn’t find love before his twenty-first birthday died a terrible death. For Seamus Du Mont, Du Mont Estate was a prison. Imprisoned behind the walls of his family estate with good reason, Seamus has endured the Curse of the Beast for his entire life. For three centuries, every male in his family has had their soul marred by a werewolf transformation every night. Only love can break his curse. When, a month before his twenty-first birthday, Quinn decides to travel to Du Mont Estate to find answers he meets Seamus Du Mont and sparks fly. Can love save them? Or will it come too late?"

I've already outlined each chapter and I'm working on the character profiles now. (Thank you Jenna Moreci for that tip!) And I'm also getting ready to start actually writing in a few moments. My question is simple, really. Is there really a set genre for something like this? I'm unsure of if this is going to really be marketable at the moment and so I'm asking you guys if you would be interested in this if you read it on the back of a book.

Also, I made a cover for it. Which you should jump over to my profile and see because I really think you guys should see it. I'm super proud of it.
Dean: Of course, the most troubling question is why do these people assume we're gay?

Sam: Well, you are kind of butch. They probably think you're overcompensating.

152 Reviews

Reviews: 152
Sat May 28, 2016 7:34 am
View Likes
Rubric says...

I'm not precisely a genre guru, but I detect hints of romance and/or YA fiction in your description. Depending on your writing style and the way the plot unfolds, it could certainly contain elements of adventure/horror as well.

Just a thought to consider, but Heart of Darkness is the name of a very widely read book detailing the fictional account of colonialism in the Belgian Congo. I doubt this is a connection you intend, and the title is certainly fitting your own story quite well, but I thought you should be aware.

Regards,
So you're going to kill a god. Sure. But what happens next?

Diary of a Deicide, Part One.

Got YWS?

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Sat May 28, 2016 7:49 am
UntamedHeart173 says...

Thanks! I'll research the title a bit before I decide absolutely. (The cover I made was relatively cheap to make so I can definitely redo that.) That really does help a lot. Thank you again!
Dean: Of course, the most troubling question is why do these people assume we're gay?

Sam: Well, you are kind of butch. They probably think you're overcompensating.

It's Monday and you folks are beginning to wonder about the show, aren't you
— David Letterman