z

Young Writers Society

help me with my intelligent laboratory animal....and other t

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Thu May 19, 2016 9:47 pm
queenofscience says...

If a bunch of scientist came up with a minitureazation device, who were all some sort of biologest/bioengeneers what kind of ( realist) applications would it have in biotechnolgy/medical feild? I'm looking for a realistic reserch application.

Also, any ways how this could tie into reserch with intellagen labatory animals who

Have been genetically engineered to have Crohn's disease ( reserch purposes)

have an artifical legs ( I don't know what kind of experiments could have been done?)
Scars on their head from some sort of surgery ( don't know what kind of reserch could of been done)

I would like help with my laboratory animals and how they became intelligent etc.
I am the science and science fiction guru.

The mind is beautiful, yet brilliant. You can think, create, and imagine so many things.

Eugenics= scientific racism.

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Sat May 21, 2016 7:29 pm
AnarchyWolf says...

By 'intelligent lab animals', do you mean animals who've been engineered to be cleverer, or animals who are naturally intelligent, such as rats, dogs, and chimps?

Anyway, the shrinking down of living beings could be to investigate the effects of the shrinking on the organism's living tissue. I don't know if you mean for the atoms of the creature to shrink or not, but it would either way be unprecedented and definitely research-worthy on its own. Another reason for shrinking lab animals could be to reduce costs. If an animal is smaller, it needs less food and less of whatever they're testing on it, which would add up and really save them money. They could test how the shrinking affects the animals' lifespan, intelligence, mobility, behavior, and physical traits. Aside from this, many scientists just 'experiment' to see what will happen, so if you can't think up any good reasons, this could be it.

If the animal had been engineered to contract Crohn's Disease, the shrinking machine could be used to research the effect it had on the tissues and/or behavior. It could also be used to cut costs of feeding, housing, and medication.

As for artificial legs, I'm not sure if a laboratory would invest in those. Of course, they could be testing them out as a prototype for eventual human use, but they wouldn't put an artificial leg on an animal to make its life easier in the event of an accident. They'd kill it instead.

Scars on the head are quite common. They're used when electrode-y electric things (I don't know the name for them) are implanted into either the skull or the brain to monitor, or change via electric shock, brain activity. These scars tend to be deep and don't fade.

Finally - making the animals intelligent. A drug could have been tested on them, they could have been trained in a specific way, they could be plain abnormalities, they could have been hypnotized, they could have had human brain cells or something injected into them while they were embryos and so would have human brains (they actually did this with mice. The human brain cells took over the mouse ones. The intelligence of the mice improved hugely). There are endless options. It would be far easier, however, to make already-intelligent animals even more intelligent. Rats, dogs, marine mammals and chimps are probably the most intelligent of the lab animals.

If you're writing a story about this, could you message me when it's out? I find the topic very intriguing.

-AnarchyWolf
Don't resist the water. Welcome it.

Who knew paper and ink could be so vicious.
— Kathryn Stockett, The Help