z

Young Writers Society

funny things that can happen to my main character?

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Tue May 10, 2016 1:03 am
queenofscience says...

What are some funny things that can happen in a library? I'm writing a contemporary story about a teenager and she gets kicked out of the house by her mom and goes to the library to ask people some help about finding a women's shelter. I also want my story to be funny as well. Any funny things that can happen? Anyways I want add humor to her situation. My main character is 18 years old and is female she has microphthalmia ( small eyes) and she has low vision. She got kicked out the house because of depression and how her mom and dad did not want to deal with it. Actually my character chose to leave the house in the first place. Anyways I'm wanting my story to have humor in it.

Oh, and she wants a srvice dog down the road.

Oh, and a young librarian lets her stay at her house for a few days. Any funny or interusting conversations.

My main character likes to write and is a nerd. And she loves useing her imagination.
I am the science and science fiction guru.

The mind is beautiful, yet brilliant. You can think, create, and imagine so many things.

Eugenics= scientific racism.

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Tue May 10, 2016 1:24 pm
View Likes
Tenyo says...

That's a difficult one. Libraries are not usually places were funny things happen, maybe because there are so many conditions of how you're supposed to act. Things are quiet and orderly and that doesn't give much room for fun things.

It does, however, give room for silly things. Jokes always seem more amusing when you know you're not allowed to laugh at them because the setting is so formal.

I'd say try taking casual humour that has a bigger context and putting it inside the library setting. For example, let's say your character is pondering on what to do in a situation when a book with a relevant title falls from a shelf and hits them on the head. As long as you don't make it too prophetical, there is a lot of humor that can be found in the irony of it.

Your character could be trying to research something they're embarrassed about, so they use a comic book to cover the one they're reading, not realising that it's an adult comic and that's why they're being stared at. The hinge of the joke is that your character is trying to look inconspicuous, and could happen anywhere, but the setting has been moved to a library.

You could google online for funny stories other people have posted and harvest a few ideas from them, or make a journal of casual or amusing conversations people have in passing and transfer them over into the new setting.
We were born to be amazing.

If you want to make enemies, try to change something.
— Woodrow Wilson