z

Young Writers Society

Metafiction Idea (possibly a collaboration)

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:31 am
austinturtle says...

Hey guys!

I have this idea for a screenplay that I think would be great. My plot isn't developed at all and I really need help in thinking of ways of how I can do this properly and effectively and a good, interesting plot to follow.

The movie is about a group (3-4) college students who are majors in English and are all novice writers. And like all novice writers at one point, they think they are gods of literature- they are pretentious, raise themselves on pedestals, and believe they can accomplish any writing feat known to man. As we are introduced to these characters in the first act, they begin to realize something is amiss. They come together and reach the conclusion that they aren't actually living a normal life. They've figured out they are characters, performing for an audience..... but for a play, not the movie they are in. After freaking out, they come to the decision, as writing gods, to make it the best play possible for the audience they are currently performing for. However, they are absolutely terrible, making completely meaningless creative decisions, abandoning their characterizations, and not only making it a technically bad film, but also a terrible play. At one point they criticize each other heavily and become extremely stressed about the project, and after realizing that they are in a movie, they become extremely depressed and give up their passion for writing. But somehow they overcome that slump, accomplishing their own personal goals, and get on the road to becoming truly great writers.

I'm thinking this is a comedic movie. But I need help with some plot ideas and the conclusion. What do you guys think?

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:12 am
CTodd89 says...

This is easily a premise to break the fourth wall. It's an interesting idea. Try focusing on the four emotional needs of your actual audience: the need for new info, need to bond, conflict resolution and a need for completion.

You could start it in a way that they exist solely because of the movie and have become self-aware. They have no recollection of their lives before the start of the story and in turn find out they actually know nothing of themselves. So they find a belief in a creator, whom they are desperate to contact and are answered indirectly with little things that occur during the story. They're given what they need only when they need it. During the journey they discover they're maybe not all that and are subject to humility, which is the antithesis to pride, and when they're humble they're able to figure it out and "live happily ever after."

Beware of advice—even this.
— Carl Sandburg