z

Young Writers Society

Neckromancer//A Prison in Ophelia

396 Reviews

Reviews: 396
Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:26 pm
Pompadour says...

As is the case with most of my ideas, I'm still in murky waters with this one, but a gritty vampire fiction is something I've wanted to do for a long time. I tried it out with Tuxedo Boys, before realising that it was set in entirely the wrong period--the twenty-first century. Neckromancer is set in the future, and is me experimenting with both second-person and third-person, with two different plot threads that I will gradually intertwine with one another in a manner that (hopefully) makes sense.

Thread #1: Set in Ophelia, a city in New Switzerland, a prisoner escapes a maximum-security prison and is out to seek revenge on the person who had her put there in the first place: a man whom everyone calls Chancellor Derrich, but the prisoner knows as Robinson Grok. I intend for the prisoner to remain unnamed for the majority of her chapters, although she will go by a number of aliases throughout the course of the novel. Her sections chronicle her adventures as she is A) on the run, and B) meets a group that might just aid her on her journey.

Thread #2: The second plot-thread takes place in various places all over Europe. Lilly and Hugh are con-artists, half-vampires on the run from a deranged lunatic, in debt, and slowly dying. Half-vampires, in /Neckromancer/, are not magical creatures with heightened senses or special powers. Instead, their bodies are unable to support the external strain of being half-turned, and if they are not fully-turned, then they will die.

Not all vampires can turn a half-vamp into a complete vampire. But Lilly and Hugh are not looking for someone to complete the process. Instead, they're looking for someone to turn them human again.

I intend to have a lot of fun with this. I'll use this thread to generally jabber on about ideas + for worldbuilding and the lot (because MS Word files are such a pain and I might actually be motivated to keep my plotting clean for once instead of in scraps).
How to format poetry on YWS

this sky where we live is no place to lose your wings

396 Reviews

Reviews: 396
Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:17 pm
Pompadour says...

a]~ Worldbuilding Endeavours

I'm marking this space for all the disorderly worldbuilding I'll be doing, which means! 1] Concept art + rough maps, 2] Short snippets and important locations, 3] Technology, gadgetry and the like, 4] Culture, the shifting paradigm of the globe at large, 5] Politics, health, international issues (these won't crop up much, but I want to have at least a vague feel on what the world is like).

(To be honest, 1 is what I'm really excited for. >.>)

- Places:

Spoiler! :
A] Ophelia:

Ophelia is a city in Switzerland, shackled by time and space. It is a space station, a city built on confusion, and a fortress that protects something no-one-knows-what. It is home to vampyr, to fae, to The Miscreants, and to ordinary people; but, perhaps most importantly, the city is home to you.

Straight from chapter one, I think this paragraph illustrates pretty clearly the sci-fi/fantasy landscape I'm trying to build. I'm taking a lot of liberties by making Ophelia a magical + technological cauldron--it's not going to be very realistic in that sense, not just in terms of architecture* and shizz, but in the general way technology's progressed.

- The offices from across the street look like wineglasses, their bases ending in metallic teeth.

- Neon greys and blues flood the elliptical glass houses, the artificial lights glimmering in stroboscopic sequences.

B] The Unity (previously New Britain):

*makes space*

--

Places that need mapping out:
- The Glock (a maximum-security prison nearing the outskirts of the city).
- Sentinel Escape (a holiday resort which is an important location in part two of the novel--hopefully, if things go according to plan).
- numerous other locations of importance.

- People:

1] The Miscreants: --
2] Vampires: --
3] The Fae: --
4] Humans: --

- Political bodies:

--

- Technology:

--

- Culture (special focus on the growing monoculture):

--

- Health + International Issues//World Politics:

--
How to format poetry on YWS

this sky where we live is no place to lose your wings

“Rise like Lions after slumber In unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew Which in sleep had fallen on you— Ye are many—they are few.”
— Mary Shelly