z

Young Writers Society

The August Province.

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:32 pm
View Likes
micamouth says...

The August Province: primarily a prison of sorts. On the outside, it looks like any ordinary city - except that it's in ruins. Walls painted red with blood an' that.
As you venture deeper, you'll notice there are no fences or walls, or any security guards with tazers and thingimajigs. You'll also notice that the place is entirely surrounded by hundreds of miles of wilderness. That's the reason why there are no security measures - it's pretty much impossible to escape without a, contracting a disease, b, getting killed by your comrades, or c, getting killed by the outside world. In other words, you're stuck here, kid.
Inside the August Province - not somewhere you want to be - is, to put it bluntly, one big giant feud. A newbie in the province is a playtoy for rookies. To veterans, they're either a tool or a nuisance. Surviving in the province is something that requires skill, charisma and most of all, a good knack for lock-picking. Trust me, it's useful.
I'm joking, I'm joking. What you really need is to watch your back. In the August Province, you never know what's around the corner. Keep your wits about you; you never know who's listening and who'll pass it on to someone higher up. It's then up to the gang leaders to decide what to do, and they're unpredictable. There's only one thing you can do when your life is in their hands; pray to God, Allah, and whoever else'll listen.
Kid, you've got a lot to learn.

Well. That's my pitch.
Welcome to my newest project, the August Province! This'll be the focus of my time for the near future.
The August Province first started off as a title. Yep, I went down a route I usually don't go down with stories and started with the title. August, and summer in particular, never quite seemed like something that was alive. To me, summer is a 'dead' season, as is winter. Summer reminds me of deserts and what I like to call 'bone-trees', trees stripped of their bark. I'm not quite sure how I got to the whole prison thing, but it's done - there's no going back :P
The August Province is basically about what would happen if, in a society of mild magic and plenty of quirky technology, criminals of all kinds were allowed to run riot in a city of their own. This means there's going to be some pretty dark themes.
What's in it? Assassination! Betrayal! An all-female band of air pirates! And most importantly, we have our protagonist - let's call them Joe Bloggs for now :P

So, does this sound pretty good already? (bearing in mind i've only got the ideas for the setting and vague ideas of characters hehehe i can't plot help me)
formerly Sagitta

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:02 pm
birk says...

It sounds like an interesting mish-mash of a lot of cool topics. Start writing it and give us a first part to read, then it'll be a lot easier to tell how your story is going to turn out.

The all-female band of air pirates almost solely sold me on this. In fact, pretty much just air pirates in general. xD

In short though, I'd be interested in reading this. Based on your short intro of the many plot elements in this, it already sounds interesting.

Oh, and your title is really good!
"I never saved anything for the swim back."

Do not mistake coincidence for fate. - Mr Eko

they're selling razor blades and mirrors in the street

30 Reviews

Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:31 pm
micamouth says...

Gaah, thank you! I'm so glad someone's interested. It's going to be a long project, but I -think- I'll be able to do it.
formerly Sagitta

30 Reviews

Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:23 pm
micamouth says...

We have a protagonist - Jorah Rhodes, also known as Rhody!
We have a death... already...
And we have a chapter!

I need to plot further ahead before jumping into things.
formerly Sagitta

30 Reviews

Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:32 pm
micamouth says...

This is what I'd love to call the 'question hub' for The August Province. I ask anyone who has read/is planning to read TAP to gather 'round and ask as many questions as you like. Who are these people? What's the history of this world? Where are these all-female air pirates you're raving about?

Throw 'em at me! It's all helping me develop this world and everything in it.
formerly Sagitta

We understand how dangerous a mask can be. We all become what we pretend to be.
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind