z

Young Writers Society

Instead of 'chapter one'...

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:29 pm
micamouth says...

I've seen this done in books. I've seen it in games, films and TV shows. Instead of levels, they use 'phases'. Instead of episodes, they use chapters. Sometimes, you find 'dream and nightmare' style sequence with 'conscious' and 'unconscious' chapters.

My point is, what other ways are there to name your chapters? Perhaps we should collect a list!
formerly Sagitta

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:56 am
Kale says...

In books with multiple viewpoint characters, I've seen chapters titled with just the name of the viewpoint character.

I've also seen simple numbers, relevant illustrations, or no titles at all.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

1333 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1333
Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:28 pm
Hannah says...

Ooh, I bet having the names of the chapters fit the event/theme of the book would work well. Like if it were about a fighting ring or something like that, you might say "round 1", or if it were about running, you could say "lap 1". :O
you can message me with anything: questions, review requests, rants
are you a green room knight yet?
have you read this week's Squills?

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:25 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

Some chapters are recorded by time or date - I just read The Girl on the Train, which was split into chapters according to name of perspective character, then split by date and further by "Morning" and "Evening". Dates are cool! Or in Looking for Alaska and I'm sure other books where it's done as "131 days before" "24 days before" and at some point switches to "ten days after." In fact I've read a lot of books basing their chapters on dates and times and I think that's super effective!

You could do it as "Parts" or "Sections" I guess. Or use interesting numbers - I can't remember but I think I read a book where the chapters are numbered only with prime numbers. Or starting with a quote or titling as "Chapter 1 - in which Stella rambles and doesn't help anyone" ;). Basically if it sounds cool, and it fits your story, why not?!
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

It is a happiness to wonder; it is a happiness to dream.
— Edgar Allan Poe