z

Young Writers Society

I need help choosing which story to go with!

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:34 am
Firelight says...

I would love some feedback on which of two novel ideas I should stick with, or at least try out first.

Idea #1

Spoiler! :
First off, this idea is sprouting off of a short story I wrote, Brenna of Koreth. (If you want to read to get to know my original idea) I've reworked the plot outline a bit for a novel or longer fantasy story.

The entire story revolves around two characters, an upperclass girl named Brenna, and the idea of fate. By that I mean that "Fate" is a real concept, and he has a consciousness and certain powers, such as powers relating to the future and being able to change from solid form to a thing I like to call "abstract thought".

Brenna's family desend directly from one of the seven original founders of her kingdom, Koreth. This makes her family a family of Lords, Ladies, and in some cases, powerful generals. Her father is one of the most important generals in history, as was his ancestors before him. Therefore, Brenna had a very wide range of education topics, from politics to hand-to-hand combat. She has been preparing all her life for her ceremony that would acknowledge her as a Lady of the Koreth people. If you read my story, this is all explained in more detail.

Eventually, she meets Fate, although she doesn't know it. He tells her that she is meant to be more than a pretty display piece to the public, and leads her on an adventure that leads her to her own "fate". She discovers a plot to overthrow the King, and begins trying to take the organization down. But, is she really fighting on the right side? Turns out, the King has some secrets of his own, and some are secrets that will change Brenna's future forever.

(Now, I'm not completly done with outlining the plot yet, so this may not be the most wonderful description, but I do hope it can peak your interest.)

Idea #2

Spoiler! :
So, this one is completly different than the other one. It's kind more present-day and sci-fi.

After the first attempt at human cloning, which fails horribly, people begin to protest against the creation of clones. The government pass a law prohibiting any more research or attempts at human cloning. But for some scientists, this is t acceptable. When their "above ground" cloning facilities are closed, all the scientists for human cloning team up together and create illegal cloning facilities, far away from human civilization. Which their brilliant minds, they eventually succeed in the first human clone, the DNA taken off of dead or stillborn infants. Because these infants never got to grow up, nobody would recognize their clones.

So eventually they get another fantastic idea. Why not give these clones weird genetic mutations too? So, thus comes about our good old superhuman clones.

Not long after that, the government begins to suspect that some people could still be cloning after it is noticed a cloning facility has been tampered with. Quickly, the scientists erase all evidence of their experiments. They put the clone babies up for adoption, after making their "powers" dormant until they could personally activate them.

The story revolves around one of the adopted clones, who thinks she's just a normal person. But, the scientists are on the hunt for their clones, and she's in danger. The girl (I don't have a name for her yet) finds out, and goes on a mission to find the other clones, still reeling from her discovery. Eventually, the government gets involved, and is trying to find these clones before the scientists. So, the clones have another set of people to be afraid of. The whole story is basically the clones learning about their pasts, powers, and bonding together to fight for their rights as superhuman beings.

(So, same as the other one, I apologize for any hasty explanations, because I'm not totally sure about the plot yet.)

I would really appreciate any thoughts, feedback or suggestions anyone can provide. Which one should I stick with? Idea 1, Idea 2, or neither? Thanks! :D
“You know a conjurer gets no credit when once he has explained his trick, and if I show you too much of my method of working, you will come to the conclusion that I am a very ordinary individual after all.”

475 Reviews

Reviews: 475
Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:46 am
Apricity says...

Hey there! I'll give you the standard run of the mill advice, you should go with whichever one you feel the most comfortable with because that's how you will continue to write and develop the idea. But that is difficult when both of these ideas are still at conception, no one is stopping you from trying out both of these ideas. You could write a couple of chapters on each idea and see which one you prefer, if you still have a hard time deciding then you can always come back for help.

I say this because usually authors know in their hearts which idea they want to pursue, all ideas seem equally enticing the moment they're born because they all represent infinite possibilities. And that is true, but you're just better at some of these than others.

But if you want my personal humble opinion. I prefer the second idea, because I don't quite see as many ways you can make the first one interesting. It sounds like a standard fantasy novel, where the main character falls in love with Fate and they go and conquer or accomplish something together. But I've been proven wrong many times. The second idea just appeals to me because it's interesting, cloning is a largely unexplored area and you can do a lot of things with it. It's sort of combines the idea you have in the first as well but just in a different setting.

Best of luck!
Previously Flite

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.' ― Friedrich Nietzsche

~Open for business~

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:51 pm
Kale says...

There's also no rule saying you can't work on both of them at the same time. You know, if you really can't choose between them.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:39 pm
birk says...

While I somewhat agree with Hiraeth, that the second idea has more potential, when you just glance over it, I still really liked the concept of the first one.

This is probably because the idea of 'fate' has always been a weird one for me. But if you think about it, 'fate' should be convoluted for everyone. It can be a warm blanket, that tells you that things are fated to be alright; maybe you are meant to find that one person out there for you, or maybe you were always meant for a higher purpose; a better job etc.

Or, maybe you were fated to die. Or in this case, maybe she is fated to leave everything she knew behind and overthrow her own king. Oooooo

If you're giving a lot of highlight to the concept of 'fate' in your story, then I feel you can make things pretty interesting with regards to what the universe might have in store for you. And there's little you can do about it? I don't know, that appealed to me.

Clones on the other hand though, have been done to death, right? There's a lot of potential, and it's cool, but I've seen this a lot of times. Though that doesn't mean you can add a lot of new and original to the genre. Despite never having seen the series, your second idea reminds me of this series called 'Orphan Black'.

You'll figure out what you want to write. I just wanted to drop in my cents, cause I liked the 'fate' concept. ;)
"I never saved anything for the swim back."

Do not mistake coincidence for fate. - Mr Eko

they're selling razor blades and mirrors in the street

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:54 pm
LadySpark says...

I wanna expand a bit on what Kyll said because I hate it when writer's think they can't devote their minds to more than one idea at a time. The mindset that if you can't pick one project you're not going to be able to write them properly is silly. You totally can do both projects at the same time! That's the great thing about being a writer! We multitask muchhh better than we'd like to admit.

Also, don't leave the decision up to us. Which one do YOU like more? You're the writer. You're the one who's gonna be writing it. If you don't like your idea, you're not going to enjoy writing it.

Good luck! <3
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

"Come quickly, I am drinking the stars!"
— Dom Pérignon