z

Young Writers Society

Idea for a series of stories

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:13 am
pdavinci says...

Hello everyone.

My idea is a series similar to that of a frame story. What I mean is, the series of stories is told by this one narrator during the events of another story. He would describe events of a civilization over thousands of years. Several of the stories would also be similar to that of events going on in the "main" story. A similar concept to this is One Thousand and One Nights otherwise known as Arabian Nights.

I currently call my series or "universe" ideas the Xake. Xake is Basque for Chess. The main narrator is basically playing chess with an unseen entity.

It will take place over six eras (Vulgate, Réabhlóid, Unified Covenant, Кpax, Plena Potestatem, and Offenbarung)

Vulgate: The first era will open with the chess game where a narrator begins telling stories. The following stories of the first era will also be sort of parallels to the stories of the old testament in the Bible
Réabhlóid (Revolution in Irish): The second era will basically talk about a revolution of humans turned robots and their leader Saol Eolai. It will end focused on a serial killer in a mental institution. It will end with all the world’s nations joining under a name known as the Alliance.
Unified Covenant: The third era revolves around the Alliance and them interacting with other species over the next 1000 years. The stories will be similar to that of the new testament.
Кpax (Fall in Russian): Pronounced Kratch, the fourth era, also known as the Alpha-819 trilogy, focuses on the downfall of the Alliance. It’s first story is a political one before a planet is destroyed, the second revolves around some escapees who must fend for their lives from aliens, and the third is a continuation in a way of the last one with change in setting and characters.
Plena Potestatem (Full Control in Latin): The fifth era takes place mostly on a planet known as Tritan-298 after the Alliance collapses. It will start off very similar to Earth but slowly becomes more corrupt until it is all mechanical planet and eventually people rebel and several people die. I am not sure when this era ends as I have yet to come up with a fitting conclusion.
Offenbarung (Revelation in German): This sixth and final era only focuses on one story. It will focus on the end of the stories and the chess game as the unseen entity finally beats the narrator after several games lost. It will parallel Revelations.

I am not sure whether or not I will actually publish them when I write them, but I am making it my life goal to write this series. I just wanted to see people's opinions.

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:42 pm
LadySpark says...

It's an interesting idea, most definitely! My question is, how do these eras combine? You have a lot of different stories going on, from falls of empires, to robots. How do they all become one, unified story? Because it looks to me you have a lot of stories that are trying to mesh but kind of aren't.
Also, how do you plan on making the chess game a theme of the story?

I have a hard time understand why era one is following the line of the Old Testament and era two is about robots. That's a huge jump, don't you think? You've got sooo many concepts, going on that I'd like to see you trim it down and make it more concise. Good luck!
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

11 Reviews

Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:46 pm
View Likes
pdavinci says...

For one thing, all of these eras go overa period of thpusabds of years. Those old and new testament stories are sort of "modernized" or "futurized". I haven't gotten to much on it. The stories begin in 2013 and go ta at least after the year 4000. The robots story takes place 700 years while thr colonization of planetshappen years later. I am being a bit broad with what I am saying as not everything is fully developed. Finally I understand what you mean when not everythingis similar or meshing. They weren't really intended to do that,only really sharing history. Chess was not meant to be a theme though. The structure and plot of each story is sort of intended to be similar to events that would happen in a game of chess.

I should also say that each story, except for a few, should stand on their own without any prior knowledge. The stories are just ordered in a way that works well as a timeline for the people

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:59 am
View Likes
Kale says...

I think it's a really interesting idea, and I'd be curious to see how you pull it off. Then again, I really like frame stories, and One Thousand and One Nights has always been one of my favorite works, mainly for how the frame unifies the disparate stories into a coherent narrative.

Your idea also reminds me a bit of the Foundation Trilogy by Isaac Asimov. If you haven't read them yet, I recommend it since it covers a comparable timespan and setting (at least for the spacefaring parts).
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:45 pm
birk says...

This sounds really cool and interesting! And ambitious! I like ambitious.

I agree with Kyll though. Asimov's Foundation Trilogy is sort of a groundwork for these massive 'history tellings' of the universe. This is a great undertaking you'll be trying for, so I'd at least check it out and read up about it. ;)
"I never saved anything for the swim back."

Do not mistake coincidence for fate. - Mr Eko

they're selling razor blades and mirrors in the street

11 Reviews

Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:44 pm
pdavinci says...

I'm actually in the middle of reading the Foundation Trilogy. It is actually one of the reasons I came up with this.

While the whole structure of the story isn't fully complete, one of the stories in the collection is finished. It is known as Via Vitae and it currently is the first story of the fifth era. Via Vitæ

Let me know if that link doesn't work.

You got rid of them. Yes, that's just like you. Getting rid of everything unpleasant instead of learning to put up with it.
— Aldous Huxley, Brave New World