z

Young Writers Society

Ahhh help!

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:20 am
Storygirl95 says...

Hi Guys! I've missed you all while I've been gone. School's been crazy.

But even though I don't wish to apologize for being absent and then immediately ask for help, I need to. I don't know what to do! My school is having a contest (that I didn't know about until now) and I really want to enter! I have to have a fiction piece that's 5,000 words or less. I would ordinarily just write something new, but I don't feel I have the time! I need it to be ready by Thursday this week! :(

Sure, that's enough time to write if you're in the mode. But I have no new ideas and would be too panicked. Suggestions? Anyone? What should I do? Try and write something anyway, force through it?

Should I pick something I've already written? I don't know what I would choose, and a lot of my short stories are more than 5,000 words. Of those that aren't, I'm not sure if they stand any sort of chance in the contest. It's a school wide competition. No offense to myself, but I'm not one of those technically perfect writers. I like to have fun with it. I've never submitted anything to literary journals besides one of the ones my club runs.

Should I just give up on the desire to enter and accept I'm too late? I have to admit this last choice makes me wilt inside. All of my friends and writing club members are entering, and we're workshopping on Wednesday to send them in. Aside from my love to write, another reason I want to enter is that I don't want to be the only one left behind.

I made the mistake of looking at past winners of the contest, and now feel stressed. All of the pieces are things people wrote that are . . . not purely technical or things I would imagine are more art than anything else, but still. They weren't written out of expression of a story. They're all reflections on self or have an extremely deep messages. Not to say mine doesn't have this in ways, but I just don't write like that. It seems to me they don't want funny things, or anything particularly light-hearted. Which, at least a majority of the time, is my specialty.

Every idea I have almost seems juvenile in context. Even when I let it go enough to write, I'm feeling off about it. It's a similar sensation to giving a speech about goldfish crackers at a conference about war and death. Even if it was written well, it doesn't "belong."

I just wish I knew how to fix it.

I'm so lost right now. Also, I'm so sorry that my post is this long.
Johnny was a chemist's son but Johnny is no more, for what Johnny thought was H2O was H2SO4. :wink:

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:57 am
LordZeus says...

Well what is your favourite writing genre? It would probably best to stick to that, and we'd have to know it if anyone wishes to offer you any suggestions.

42 Reviews

Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:59 am
Storygirl95 says...

As in what do I write the most?

I don't usually consider myself to have anything more specific than realistic fiction. However, since I've been writing a romance novel, that's all I can seem to think of. I'm a naturally sentimental person, so it lends to that.
Johnny was a chemist's son but Johnny is no more, for what Johnny thought was H2O was H2SO4. :wink:

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:09 pm
View Likes
LadySpark says...

Those stories that are 5,000 words+ could be trimmed down, I'm sure. Honestly, if you don't have any ideas, take a story you've written in the past and enjoyed writing, and either trim it down or embellish it. There's no need to stress out about it or panic. The worst they can say is no, and if they do it won't be the end of the world, I promise. Do it so you can workshop with your friends and you enjoy writing, and don't think about what other people have done or who has won. Believe in your own writing, and believe in yourself and you'll be very surprised what wonderful things will come to you <3
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

42 Reviews

Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:40 am
Storygirl95 says...

Awww, that's so sweet! Thank you! I really need that optimism right about now. You've made my night. :D :D :D :D

"He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."
— Fredrich Nietzche (Philosopher)