z

Young Writers Society

need a scientific name

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:12 am
queenofscience says...

I need a scientific name for the ability to shapeshift into dogs. I need the ability to shapeshift into dogs his head genetic condition. Any ideas for a scientific/medical name for my 'gentic abnormally'? I want to explain this in a very medical way?
I am the science and science fiction guru.

The mind is beautiful, yet brilliant. You can think, create, and imagine so many things.

Eugenics= scientific racism.

475 Reviews

Reviews: 475
Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:41 am
Apricity says...

I am actually unsure as to what you're asking, however if you're looking for a medical explanation. I direct you to The Character Clinic.
Previously Flite

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.' ― Friedrich Nietzsche

~Open for business~

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:57 am
Mea says...

I believe you're looking for a science-y sounding term for your fake genetic condition, am I right? I'm afraid I can't help you specifically, but in general these sorts of things come from Latin words, so try translating something like "change" or "shapeshift" into Latin and see what you come up with.
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:25 pm
LordZeus says...

Hey why don't you just use the latin (I think) term for werewolfism(is that a word?) I.e.lycanthropy. I think its close enough to your condition to fit in.

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:08 am
birk says...

I find it somewhat difficult to figure out exactly what you're after. If you're just looking for a good name for shapeshifting into a dog, or animals in general, then you have a really awesome sounding name in 'Therianthropy', which is essentially shapeshifting into animals.

For a broader term, I'd maybe go with Shamanism. I've always liked that. But then again, I have no idea what kind of story you are writing this into.

Lastly;
I need the ability to shapeshift into dogs his head genetic condition.

By this, I get the feeling that you mean somebody transfering his mind into a dogs mind/body?

The first thing I think of then (probably everyone), is a Warg. It's been made popular through use in George R.R. Martin's series 'A Song of Ice and Fire', but I'm pretty sure it's a generalized term in fantasy in general. You could probably just go for that.

Or, alternatively, you could revert back to Shamanism. It's been widely used in fiction as characters with spiritual connection to animals.
"I never saved anything for the swim back."

Do not mistake coincidence for fate. - Mr Eko

they're selling razor blades and mirrors in the street

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:17 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

Commutatus Canis?
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:29 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

For a broader term, I'd maybe go with Shamanism. I've always liked that. But then again, I have no idea what kind of story you are writing this into

This would be an incorrect term to use. Shamanism describes the spiritual beliefs of Indigenous Peoples around the world and really should only be used in that context, not a scientific name.

I would look up various words relating to dogs and shapeshifting in Latin or Ancient Greek. You might have to go with "change" instead of "shift" and do some digging, but scientific names in biology are more often than not one of those two languages
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:04 am
Kale says...

Considering therianthropy and its variants are already derived from Greek (with kynanthropy referring specifically to creatures who shifted between humans and dogs in Greek mythology), if you want something more sciency-sounding, you'll need to look towards Latin.

Snoink's suggestion is pretty flexible since you can use the basic structure for a variety of species and body parts.

Examples: cephalocommutatus canis for head-only shapeshifting into a dog, omnicommutatus felis for shapeshifting into a cat, and commutatus belluae (beast) for the condition in general.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

'The Answer to the Great Question... Of Life, the Universe and Everything... Is... Forty-two,' said Deep Thought, with infinite majesty and calm.
— Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy