z

Young Writers Society

A movie that my character can mention

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:46 am
queenofscience says...

Hey people.

So, my teenager character in my world of a race of canine shapeshifters. She's an outsider and gets quarantined for a few months due to the possibility of having diseases like,Parvo, rabies, distemper and mange excetera. She is pretty miserable and she is in denial that she has canine blood in her after having found out that she has some canie blood in her. Anyways, she makes referance to fanasty movies and how she feels like a chracter who has just entered into a fanasty world and wants to just get home. Any movies that she could refer to?
I am the science and science fiction guru.

The mind is beautiful, yet brilliant. You can think, create, and imagine so many things.

Eugenics= scientific racism.

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:13 am
SkyeWalker says...

Alice in Wonderland? The Wizard of Oz? Those were the fist ones that came to my mind.
My pronouns are they/them.

Formerly Zhia and Reneia

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:43 am
birk says...

I'm not gonna lie, I'm a big sucker for using pop culture references in anything I write. However, have you thought much about other possibilities other than referencing a film? There's a lot of ways you can symbolize your characters feelings about the circumstances.

Also, if you do want a film, Alice in Wonderland is too mainstream. Go for Pan's Labyrinth. ;)

EDIT: OH! If only for PenguinAttack's avatar, and the fact that the Goblin King himself has passed not long ago; you could go for 'Labyrinth'! Though, I hardly remember this film. I do remember it's plot being fairly similar to the above mentioned.
"I never saved anything for the swim back."

Do not mistake coincidence for fate. - Mr Eko

they're selling razor blades and mirrors in the street

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:28 am
Tecumseh says...

Ginger Snaps! Well, she hasn't entered a fantasy world, she just figures out she's a werewolf and it doesn't go well for her.

1333 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1333
Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:31 pm
Hannah says...

Maybe referencing a werewolf movie where the character unexpectedly becomes a werewolf could work. Would you want it to be a classic movie or a more recent movie?
you can message me with anything: questions, review requests, rants
are you a green room knight yet?
have you read this week's Squills?

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:32 pm
View Likes
Zolen says...

Beware pop culture references, it ages your story by 100 years, pick well known classics if you want it to make sense to anyone longer then 20 years after your done writing it.
Self quoting is the key to sounding wise and all knowing.

Follow your inner moonlight; don't hide the madness
— Allen Ginsburg