z

Young Writers Society

Long stretches of dialogue.

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:57 pm
EmmVeePi says...

I have a question about long stretches of dialogue. I have at least two parts in the story I am currently working on where there is a story being told by a character in my story. So a single character's uninterrupted dialogue might run for several pages and I am unsure how to use quotation marks here.

Normally I know quotation marks are used at the beginning and end of a characters speaking but normally this does not go on and on either. Should I follow the rule the normal way(quotation mark, pages of dialogue, quotations mark)? So far I have been using them at the start and end of each paragraph even though there is no new person speaking or other action taking place.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:00 pm
View Likes
Vervain says...

When you have continued dialogue, you don't use quotation marks at the end of the paragraph. Example:

"This is the story of how our people came to be. Blah di blah di blah, dialogue dialogue, story story.

"And then, on one fateful night..."

You only close the quotes when the character's done talking or you're putting in a dialogue tag or something.
stay off the faerie paths

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:20 pm
Mea says...

And if you're quoting dialogue in the story, it would be formatted so that you have single quotes around the in-story dialogue and double-quotes around the rest.

Ex: "And so I went to the store and was buying some bread when this lady walked up to me and said 'Are you a doctor?'

And of course I said no."
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

89 Reviews

Reviews: 89
Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:25 pm
View Likes
Karzkin says...

Corollary to Lareine; quotation marks should go at the START of every paragraph, and at the END of the dialogue.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

K's Killa Kritiques

#TNT

All Hail the undisputed king of the YWS helicopter game.

If you don't know where you're going, any road'll take you there.
— George Harrison