Young Writers Society

New Haven Synopsis and Excerpt

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:28 pm
View Likes
Charm says...

Hi!
My name is Rachel, but most people call me Mad.

Here is my first novel excerpt ever. This is for my novel New Haven. Please tell me if it's good or not:

Excerpt
Blue stared into brown and brown stared into blue.
"I'm alive." She spoke, softly. The words barely drifted off her lips. There was a certain darkness in her voice, it ripped and tore at her from the inside, eating up all the light. The years and months of hoping, the
nerve he had. But she wanted him even though she knew it would never be the same.

Synopsis
Eloise Lewis, a young high school girl is pushed back to her old town, New Haven to attend the famous boarding school, Ellington Academy. Attending the academy has been a family tradition for generations. But returning for Eloise, means facing the past she had been running from for years. When she gets to Ellington Academy exactly what she feared happened, she met her old best friend, Gabriel again. They both had changed since the last time they saw each other. Eloise learns that change is not always for the best, going against what her mother always said. Eloise has to decide whether meeting him again is fate or a curse while dealing with high school drama.
Last edited by Charm on Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:01 pm
Remy020 says...

It is good makes me wonder what happened before that... :D
To write is to write is to write is to write is to write is to write is to write is to write.
Gertrude Stein.

The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters.
Audrey Hepburn.

http://www.brainyquote.com

277 Reviews

Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:07 pm
Charm says...

@Remy020 Yay! I'm glad. If you want to find out you can read my novel: New Haven: Chapter 1: Waves

456 Reviews

Reviews: 456
Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:40 am
EternalRain says...

I think it's great! I found nothing wrong with the excerpt, but I feel as if the synopsis could use a read over and a few polishes. There are a few missing commas, and some things that don't roll off the tongue that smoothly. I'm not going to be specific, but I would definitely advise a quick edit! Saying it out loud helps a lot - you will actually be able to hear it and see if there's anything wrong.
“Fate is like a strange, unpopular restaurant filled with odd little waiters who bring you things you never asked for and don't always like.”

-- Lemony Snicket

Check out Squills!

Need a Review?

277 Reviews

Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:45 am
Charm says...

Thank so much :)

I will call them my people, which were not my people; and her beloved, which was not beloved.
— Romans 9:25