40%
Neither
No votes

Total votes : 5

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:40 am
Charm says...

Nova Lewis or Nora Lewis for the aunt in my novel, New Haven?

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:56 am
View Likes
Vervain says...

Personally, I think it comes down to what name would be more appropriate for a woman her age, in her social standing, in her region, country, or state. It's hard to answer "what should I name this character", because we don't know anything about your setting, plot, or characters—are the aunt's parents more old-fashioned? Are they focused on the future? Are they interested in astronomy, in which case "Nova" would be a plausible name?

Also, just so you know, you can make a thread for your novel in Writers Corner that acts as advertisement as well as working out the kinks in said novel. You don't need to create a new thread for every little question if you have a composite one.
stay off the faerie paths

173 Reviews

Reviews: 173
Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:00 am
fukase says...

I want to point out that "Nora" in Japanese means "Stray" (as in the "Noragami" anime that means "Stray God") and something like that. If it suits your story, then I would love to recommend "Nora"!
:D
I love Koku.
He is damn cute and should be the main character
and not some lazy old man that supposedly genius but a sucker in his own life.
Koku is Koku.
Koku is CUTE.
~ B-The Beginning (A Netflix Anime.)

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:08 pm
View Likes
Kale says...

NicolMemo wrote:I want to point out that "Nora" in Japanese means "Stray" (as in the "Noragami" anime that means "Stray God") and something like that. If it suits your story, then I would love to recommend "Nora"!
:D

This isn't quite correct. While "nora" (野良) does mean "stray", it's only in specific cases, all of them as compound words. 野良 can also mean "unauthorized" in compound words, and it means "fields, farmland" when on its own.

As a family name, 野良 is read Nora, but as a personal name, it is read as Noyoshi.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

173 Reviews

Reviews: 173
Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:39 pm
fukase says...

Heh.
Thanks @Kyllorac for repairing me. I got bad marks in Kanji... :(

By the way, in Greek, Nora means "light" and it also describes women of great Beauty. Beautiful babies are often named Nora as they beleived that the name would give the baby good luck.

And some Scholars say that Nora also means "the enlightened one", "the Beautiful one" and also "the wise one". In high society most women are named Nora, because the name entitles Nobility, Beauty, Light, Grace and Wit. ^^
~Memo
I love Koku.
He is damn cute and should be the main character
and not some lazy old man that supposedly genius but a sucker in his own life.
Koku is Koku.
Koku is CUTE.
~ B-The Beginning (A Netflix Anime.)

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:45 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

To me, Nora is an old-fashioned and very aunt-like name. Aunt Nora conjures up images of Auntie Em from The Wizard of Oz, a very sensible woman. Nova on the other hand, sounds like a fairy godmother. I think you have to decide which one she is!
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

What's the point of being a grown-up if you can't be a bit childish sometimes?
— 4th Doctor