z

Young Writers Society

New book idea

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:45 pm
dankmemelord says...

I have a book idea about a group of people who have lost someone important to them. They are taken to a new world and given a chance to revive them by the god of that world. The point of it is to find all the chess pieces hidden throughout the new world and to be able to bring there loved ones back they have to find chess pieces. Once they find them all they play god in a game and if they win there loved ones are brought back to life.

I was told by one of my friends that it was to closely related to an anime.

Id love to here suggestions or corrections to make this better before i start. :D

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:21 am
View Likes
LordZeus says...

Umm well this is just a suggestion but I think that the God of that world should be the God of the Underworld. He gave them a chance to revive their friend, but if they failed to get the pieces , or lost the chess match, they would have to serve in his dead armies for eternity. I feel that if they had something like that to lose it makes the story more exciting. Also it gives the God a reason why he would have made such an offer. Just a thought.

52 Reviews

Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:00 am
dankmemelord says...

Thanks a lot. I love your suggestion it makes a lot of sense. I really appreciate the help.

177 Reviews

Reviews: 177
Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:27 pm
Chaser says...

This actually sounds like an incredible idea. You could have all sorts of intellectual or mental challenges in order for them to get the pieces back. And then they could play all sorts supernaturally revamped common games...or something.

Anyway, I think that this is a brilliant plot. One suggestion I have is to make each person the protagonists have lost correspond with a chesspiece. Then have the god tell them that, once a chesspiece has been eliminated in his game, their soul is lost. That'd create a bit of a dynamic during the final game, where they have to try to win with as many pieces as possible. Eventually, they'd probably have to sacrifice pieces to win, and end up at each other's throats, risking a loss. It'd be pretty intense to read.
The hardest part of writing science fiction is knowing actual science. The same applies for me and realistic fiction.

52 Reviews

Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:58 pm
dankmemelord says...

Thank you! I love your suggestion. I really appreciate the help :smt001

383 Reviews

Reviews: 383
Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:24 am
Sujana says...

Well, it's much more complicated than what Orpheus had to do. Considering what happened to him, I wonder what's going to happen to these guys.

It could go down well. Personally, it doesn't immediately strike me as 'genius', but even if it did stories aren't meant to be judged by concepts--they're meant to be judged by execution. Wishing you luck.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow; the more knowledge, the more grief."

Ecclesiastes 1: 18

Random avatar

Reviews: 6
Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:11 am
dietfiction says...

Love this idea! It's so cool! A suggestion would be that each chess piece contains the soul of somebody they love from the real world. This way if they lose a piece they lose somebody else. It would make the god seem cunning, they might get their friend back, but the god will gain more souls. It would be impossible to win really but it would be interesting to say the least. Maybe they could choose whose souls go into the pieces once they've found them? It wouldn't have to be somebody they love, they could choose somebody they hate, then perhaps certain members of the group would try to lose certain pieces so people they dislike would die, but others are all, no killing is wrong, creating drama! :)

Perhaps when we find ourselves wanting everything, it is because we are dangerously close to wanting nothing.
— Sylvia Plath